Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: reuse deep, positioning of partially filled frames ???  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Dr. B in Wisconsin

• House Bee
reuse deep, positioning of partially filled frames ???
« on: March 11, 2016, 08:31:01 pm »
Hello
Hive did not make it, I have 2 deeps with some frames empty, some 30-40 % filled and some 70-80 % filled with honey.
The question is when I install new bees, what is the best way to position the frames in the first box and a few weeks later on in the second box. Honey on the outside and empty on the inside like middle of the season. Any other opinions,  will the bees use the year old honey etc. will be very helpful
Thanks,
Brian

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: reuse deep, positioning of partially filled frames ???
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »
Here's how I'd do it. When you say 30-40% filled are you referring to drawn out or stores? I would take the ones that are drawn out or with stores and place them in the middle of the hive with the other more filled ones toward the outside of the brood nest. The outside of the brood nest is the outside of the brood nest, whether it's the second one from the middle or against the wall. They will go through those stores as they expand therefore opening up a laying area for the queen.

Did I make sense?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 12:28:35 am »
I would basically do what GSF said.  Assuming that they are all drawn frames, Put the 30-40 % filled ones in the middle with the 70-80 % filled ones to the outside.  The honey will be a good help for new bees to get them established.  I would save the empty ones for the second box.  They would be easier to store and less of a loss if something would happen to them. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 07:52:27 am »
I would do the same.
The idea is to leave room in the middle of the hive for the queen to start laying as soon as she is ready. If you put the honey filled frames in the middle, the bees will move the honey to the outside but it will take time. Sometimes the bees will build the brood nest to one side or the other but it is better to have it in the middle.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:20:44 pm »
Interesting responses, I would have thought to put the 'empty' frames in the middle for the queen to lay, with the 30-40% ones outside that and the 70-80% ones outside that.

Is there a reason why you guys have suggested to put the 30-40% ones in the middle with 70-80% ones outside that and the empties elsehwere?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 11:24:42 pm »
Usually the completely filled frames are the "outside" of the brood nest. The outside wall if you will. The small amounts will probably be used first for various reasons, thus opening up the brood nest.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 05:08:24 am »
The method being suggested is perfectly ok - but whatever you put and where, the bees will then set about re-arranging those combs to suit themselves. The hours of darkness are quite often filled with bees moving their stores around - so the placement of combs being suggested isn't critical, but rather intended - with best human judgement - to give 'em a helping hand.
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 08:33:25 am »
Interesting responses, I would have thought to put the 'empty' frames in the middle for the queen to lay, with the 30-40% ones outside that and the 70-80% ones outside that.
I am with you Phill either totally empty drawn out combs in the center or at least two frames of foundation in the center.  In my area you want the greatest concentration of bees to be in the center then stores outside of that.  A package is going to fill up four frames.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline MRBeek

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 02:49:32 pm »
I'm in the same boat as the Dr. but will be getting 5 frame nucs to replace the 2 hives that died over the winter, I know I need to place the 5 frames into the hive in the same order and should I place frames around them that are full of honey or some that are partially full?