Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Would you use expired Fumigillin?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Would you use expired Fumigillin?
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:07:10 pm »
If you were the Fumigillin using type(for your bees :)) would you use an unopened bottle of it if the expiration date said Ma 07.  I will assume that is March or May of 07. 
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline twb

• House Bee
Re: Would you use expired Fumigillin?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:10:09 pm »
Never mind.  That's over one year too old.  I forgot it was 08 already. :roll:
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:17:01 pm »
Even if it was still 07, I wouldn't use it if it expired in May.  It probably wouldn't hurt the bees but it most likely will not be effective at treating the disease.  It's just like prescription or over the counter meds for people.  If it's expired, I wont take it.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:47:35 pm »
It probably wouldn't hurt the bees but it most likely will not be effective at treating the disease.

I totally agree for this reason alone.  The treatment wouldn't be as effective and you would be contributing to the mites being resistant to the fumagillin with little reward (of course you are contributing to the resistance to the chemical regardless when using the stuff  :-D ).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:44:52 pm by bassman1977 »
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 10:16:18 pm »
Fumigillan has been in use for decades with no sign of Nosema building resistance, so I wouldn't sweat that.  IF I were willing to use fumigillan, which I'm not, I'd use it.  But, of course, if it expired in 2009 or 2010 I still wouldn't use it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesterms.htm#fumidil
http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#nosema
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin