Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB PICS  (Read 12759 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: SHB PICS
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:37:02 pm »
the one I smelled at another guys place smelled like vomit, it is the smell of honey fermenting, like a whisky mash before you distill it  :shock:  ;)  :evil: .....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 10:43:05 pm »
Figured by your picture you'd know something about sour mash. :shock: :roll: :-X ;)
doak

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »
don't think it smelled like vomit....although vomit is the one thing that i can not stand and will avoid at almost all cost.  give me blood and guts anytime!  :-)  mine was a sharp smell. kind of sour.  the kind of smell that hits the back of your nose and makes it twitch.

anyway.  doesn't seem to be an issue.  was just curious about the SHB smell.

sour mash....would that be like when the neighbors still blew in KY?  don't really remember the smell, but i do remember the BOOM!!!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 11:42:41 pm »
kathyp, have some one to do a (foul brood) test on your hive.
Or if you know how do it yourself.
You break the cap on a sealed brood cell, use a large kitchen match or any stick that size. Stir the larvae
and pull the stick out slow. If it ropes out then it's foul brood.
Like when you are pulling honey from the honey gate and when you close it, you will have a string.
if it strings out thats the sign.
American foul brood will string out more than European foul brood.
Some call it a "glue pot" oder.
Hope you don't have it.
doak

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 12:45:59 am »
Kathy ,
What was blooming--- any goldenrod or aster. Has a smell of sour or wet socks. May have been what you smelled, especially if it is gone now and brood etc. looks healthy.
John 3:16

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 12:53:49 am »
when they are curing goldenrod and aster you dont want to be down wind, them hives will stink!!!!!! smeels to me like a month old set of gym socks that are about the size of a hot air ballon  :shock: ......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 02:12:32 am »
TwT...sc-bee, that might well be what it was.

doak, there was no disease in the hive.  the smell lasted about as long as it would have taken them to cure some funky honey.  it was odd that it was only in one hive, but that hive was putting away stores like crazy for a few weeks while they were queenless.

just curious, not worried.  fortunately, i have never had SHB, but didn't know there was a smell that went with them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 02:35:56 pm »
Glad to hear that.
doak

Offline hooyaman

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 09:54:07 pm »
I was in my largest hive today, and when i opened the lid about 50 of them darn things ran down into the hive. This was very discouraging for me and my babies.  I made some traps with the mineral oil and the lure and put it in all my hives.  I about had a heat stroke doing it, but hopefully it will work. i will let you all know tomorrow night if it works. I didn't think we had the shb in Missouri, but i know now.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 12:48:27 pm »
There will be no mistake about where the smell originates with shb, you will see the larvae, and smell the destruction. Vomit is probably a good description of the smell, but what kind of vomit? There are so many types, who wants to go there, I don't. oh well I gues I did. :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 11:09:40 am »
Eeeeew.  Sounds gross, too gross to even think about it, ooops, me too, I just did think about it  :roll:  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline alexcc1

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 12:46:36 am »
I have a beetle problem in a hive with Honey Super Cell. When I opened it a few days ago there were hundreds of beetles, but no larva and no damage, I guess the beetles are having a difficult time with the HSC.  Hopefully I can do something with the Tracheal mite problem (I think) that is causing the population to  flounder.