Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: PNW folks pollen ?  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
PNW folks pollen ?
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:42:09 pm »
it warmed up today.  bees in observation hive are brining in small amounts of yellow pollen.  what on earth can it be this early. it's been so cold and nasty this winter, i am surprised!  love this observation hive!!!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: PNW folks pollen ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:05:16 pm »
Know what you mean about exciting!!!
Just finished installing Bees in the one I built for my Wife's Birthday just 30 minutes ago. :)
She is sitting in front of it right now smiling as if she had been given a new diamond.  It's currently 34F and she so wants to open the escape tube and watch them bring in some pollen.  But that may not be possible until around noon tomorrow.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:19:18 pm »
i just leave mine open, but it's a 5 frame so they cluster near the top.

i would never have guessed that there was any source of pollen this early.  maybe in 2 or 3 weeks with some good weather, but not now.

they sure are a good learning tool, as well as a great form of entertainment!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:45:25 pm »
it warmed up today.  bees in observation hive are brining in small amounts of yellow pollen.  what on earth can it be this early. it's been so cold and nasty this winter, i am surprised!  love this observation hive!!!!

Look around, bet you'll notice hazelnut catkins, kitty willows, crocus, and other early trees and plants galore.  That's what my bees are working right now.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:55:08 pm »
we do have a lot of hazelnuts around.  that might be it.  you are in the banana belt.  we are still in the deep freeze!  we have had 2 days above 40 and our nights have been in the 20's for the most part.  we were up to 31 last night.

i didn't expect pollen for at least another week.  maybe more.  guess i was wrong!  it was not a lot, but enough that they started packing it into a few cells.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:59:17 pm »
I built my Wife's ob-hive using two frames four high.  Won't be able to see the Queen (its Queenless right now) as much but with 8 frames it's large enough to keep plenty of Bees in it year round.  As soon as it warms up we're going to put some newly lain Brood and more Nurse Bees in in hopes of watching them build Emergency Queen Cells.
I gave her tickets for a 5 day cruise to Mexico yesterday (her actual birthday) because I hadn't been able to get the ob-hive finished in time.  I should have skipped the tickets.  She is far more excited about the ob-hive than the cruise.  Her and the Granddaughter have been in front of it every since we put the Bees in.  Emma is 15 months old and just loves it.  She keeps saying "Bees, Bees, Baby Bees!" and giggling.
I saw pictures of one built into a wall.  I'm thinking about putting my own ob-hive in the wall of my work shop.   :bee: :bee: :bee: Where does it end?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:51:09 am »
we do have a lot of hazelnuts around.  that might be it.  you are in the banana belt.  we are still in the deep freeze!  we have had 2 days above 40 and our nights have been in the 20's for the most part.  we were up to 31 last night.

i didn't expect pollen for at least another week.  maybe more.  guess i was wrong!  it was not a lot, but enough that they started packing it into a few cells.

It has been my observation that regardless of the time of year, even November, December, and January, bees can find some source of pollen.  I've seen my bees bringing in pollen at Thanksgiving and Christmas lots of times.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40:06 am »
Kathy, mine are busy too, light yellow.  I am thinking that it is the alder & pussywillow.  I see the alder dealies at the top of the hill are about the same color now as the pollen they are bringing in.  Yesterday was beautiful, tons & tons of my bees out.  It has been pleasant here the last few days, tshirt yesterday for short jaunts into the yard..not long though as the chill gets to you!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:42:25 pm »
i am putting pollen patties on today.  the weather is going to change and be nasty for the next couple of weeks.  since they were bringing in, i figure brood can't be far behind.  might as well help them along  :-)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:29:51 pm »
Poka-bee, your "dealies" are called catkins.   :chop:

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:18 pm »
Thank you Brian!  I thought they were but wasn't sure so went with "dealies"!  They look like worms hanging from the trees to me!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline abeeco

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:47:35 pm »
The first major source of pollen in our area I believe is hazelnut as others mentioned in feb = yellow pollen
I also sometimes see cedar = red? and poplar in feb

willows I see not blooming yet here, until March?,

maple, wild cherries, dandelion in april

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:11:19 pm »
my observation hive queen started laying today.  not a lot, but it's a start.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 02:20:20 pm »
Brian, Jody, wow!!!  Still haven't seen any bees going out of my colonies yet, the high yesterday was 44 F.  Still got snow covered ground.  What are you guys temps like?  I would  be more than curious for surely.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:10:02 pm »
Checked my bees before I left for work the other day and they were truckin in HUGE white pollen pellets!!!  Jody, you live down the street there, your bees bringing in white stuff too?  Still didn't get a chance to take a peek inside them.  Ugh.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

anything