Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Alan Forbes

• New Bee
Just joined
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:40:05 pm »
Hello everyone:

I just joined your group and am looking forward to learning more about bees.  When I was at University (Oregon State), I took an apiculture class from a guy named Bill Burgett who sparked my interest and motivated me into beekeeping.  I had two or three hives for many years while my kids were growing up and it was wonderful for all of us to learn how to manage the hives and extract the honey (in the kitchen).  I stopped keeping bees when work and family commitments got to be more important, but now that the kids are grown up and I've semi-retired, there's more time to spend with the wonderful creatures.

I bought a hive from a retired pollinator and have put my name in with the local fire departments to retrieve a swarm.  Just waiting for the weather to turn.

All the best,

Alan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:00:23 pm »
Welcome aboard Alan! Its great that that spark has been renewed, look forward to your presence here on the forums.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:30:19 pm »
Yaaayyy for you Alan!
 Welcome to here!
 I think you'll find this a great site to get and give information!
Good luck this spring on catching some bees..You're waiting for spring just like the rest of us here. I plan on catching more bees this spring too!
your friend,
john

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:34:13 pm »
welcome to the gang!  i hope you the bees as much as most of us here do.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 12:03:18 am »
Alan, yep, semi-retired, now you have some time on your hands (or not) to spend time on this forum.  Welcome.  You will totally enjoy time spent here, lots of helpers, you can provide help too, we all help each other and it is fun.  Anyways, have a great day, and welcome.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:36:01 pm »
so allen....redneck school to peace garden town!  someone went through the looking glass!!!!!!!   ;)

welcome.  there are number of folks from your neck of the woods.  check out the membership map when you get a chance.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Alan Forbes

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:02:54 pm »
Hehehe..............yes, Corvallis was pretty conservative, but the university was quite liberal with students from all over the country. I had a great time there with many outings to Newport Beach and other spots on the incredible Oregon coast.  During the summer, I worked on a grass seed and sod farm in Silverton; 13-hr. days on a combine or irrigation crew at below minimum wage.  I was a horticulture major and did an internship on a pear orchard in Medford; got a room in a preacher's house in Ashland.  From what I've been told, the pear orchard is now a housing development..............makes me sad.

All of you have been very hospitable and I feel right at home.  Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »
Hi Alan,

I am a new beekeeper also (well this will be my 3rd year) Have 2 hives in Placerville, about 2 hours from Berkeley.
Welcome to the forum. You have chosen the best place to learn and share this wonderful hobby/art.

Annette

anything