Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught first swarm!  (Read 2697 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
Caught first swarm!
« on: June 01, 2008, 06:17:06 pm »
We got to see them in the air before settling on the branch.    We found the queen and she was not marked, so I know that they were not mine.  Unless I had 2 queens in my hive to start with.

I had to call the closest guy in my bee club and he came right over.  What a blessing that was.  I was just ordering equipment this morning for this event, since hearing about Ken's swarm yesterday.  Tom brought me over a bottom board and an inner cover.  What a God send...him and the bees. 

Anyway, how long do I wait to move the hive?  Any other hints would be appreciated.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Caught first swarm!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:44:17 pm »
Once they're in the box your good to go.  Unless you think you need to wait for stragglers. Be sure to seal all entrances before loading them up.  And be gentle, a hard bump will get them riled. :)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:05:18 pm »
Ain't it just the coolest experience?

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:46:05 am »
Getting to see the swarm come in was enough.  Actually hiving it... I guess I am still in shock.

My wife went down to the horse show after we hived it and the people there saw the swarm come through.  They thought it was hornets.  So, my wife explained what actually happened and became the celebrity "bee" lady at the horse show.  Now, I just have to wait for my equipment to get here.  I have a plywood top cover and a rental bottom board and inner cover. 

Can't wait for the next one!

Dave

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 04:21:40 pm »
Our main swarming time is over, but each one was a rush and I was watching for more a couple days after each one.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 04:24:25 pm »
The difference two weeks can make, two weeks ago swarms everywhere now zip. :'(