Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big patches of Pollen through Brood Nest  (Read 2232 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Big patches of Pollen through Brood Nest
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:26:02 am »
I opened up 2 of the hives for the first time this season (Spring Downunder) which I overwintered on 2 8-frame deeps. One hive was looking good, both boxes had plenty of brood in a good pattern and some capped honey on the edges of the brood. The second hive had large patches of pollen interspersed with brood in the bottom box, a fair bit of brood in the top box and some fresh nectar stores. I thought the brood was supposed to be central, with pollen surrounding and honey outside of that. My question is, with the scattered pollen, is this interrupting the brood laying, or is this more common and not a problem? If this is a problem, how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Big patches of Pollen through Brood Nest
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:15:18 am »

Impossible to say why they have mixed  pollen and brood. Some  strains  of bee do that.
Bees tend to store pollen next to larvae.  Bees use huge amount of pollen 8 frames brood need 8 frames pollen.

It seems that  the colony is not so big that it can occupye the second box. Give to it time.
Change box order. Bees store the pollen in the lower box which has space and is cooler than brood area.

I use douple brood and upper entrance . Very often the frame next to entrance is full of pollen . Bees unload pollen  very near to entrance. I have thinked do I move the frame away but it is very best place from where nurser bees can eate pollen when feeding larvae

perhaps bees have not better place where to put pollen when they get it lots from nature.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:30:39 am by Finski »
Language barrier NOT included

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:15:14 am »
I don't really see it as a problem. As they build up they will start consuming those pollen stores to feed the young. Just keep an eye on them and as they build be prepared to add another box to forward their progress. They may have just been a little more industrious than normal going into winter.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:47:02 pm »
Fair enough, thanks guys. I guess I was just expecting things to be a little more orderly.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:43:03 pm »
Orderly in the mind of the bees may not be orderly in the mind of the beekeeper. :)

anything