Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive  (Read 19561 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Observation Hive
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:36:37 pm »
I have a observation hive that i have constructed. It is a 4 frame deep and swivels 360 degrees so you can see the bees from both sides and every angle. There is a feeder on it for starting the bees on sugar water. When you need to take this hive outside for maintenence you simply push the piece of wood next to the feeder and it closes of the bees entrance and exit, then you can simply lift it off of the base and take it outside. There is doors on both sides so you simply open the door to remove or add frames to the hive. Glass and Frames are not included.

I am looking to trade for this hive for somthing of equal value.
Please PM me to discuss possible trades.
Thank You

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Observation Hive
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:05:21 pm »
Looking to trade for something of equal value .... what did you have in mind?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it from? It wasn't long ago that you were trying to get someone to build you one.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:00:40 pm »
The young man built it himself. And done a darn fine job X:X :cheer: I would be willing to trade you a hard time and one mother inlaw for it. I know your ripping me but I will get over it :-D
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 07:51:49 pm »
Pity it's not in Australia Jordan. Would deal today.  Looks good.

Geoff.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 08:57:27 pm »
Looking to trade for something of equal value .... what did you have in mind?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it from? It wasn't long ago that you were trying to get someone to build you one.

Yes i did build it myself and it turned out pretty good.

Thanks riverrat

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:34:40 pm »
I know this is an old thread but I have some questions. Do you mean that this is for inside the house? Do the bees ever leave it? Or am I just not getting it.
Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:37 am »
you put a hole through the wall and a tube.  they come and go through that.  the hive is in the house.  i have a 5 frame hive hanging in my LR.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 07:20:35 am »
you put a hole through the wall and a tube.  they come and go through that.  the hive is in the house.  i have a 5 frame hive hanging in my LR.

That's extremely cool. Maybe someday after I've raised them for a while I would like to do that.
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:58:44 am »

That's extremely cool. Maybe someday after I've raised them for a while I would like to do that.

I would recommend it sooner rather than later. You don't need a terrible amount of experience to watch them, and you learn so much from them. For me, it helps me learn what the bees are doing day to day, and week to week, without having to open up the hives and disrupt their activities. If your observation hive has an excess amount of honey, but no pollen, you can bet the other hives in your yard are in a similar situation.

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:26 am »
That is a good point. To be honest, I built my own top bar hive because the standard type are fairly expensive and I have sunk a wad of money into this coming seasons 2 acre (more if I can lease the property next to me) garden. I dont think I am going to be able to afford two bee packages at once. I am struggling to find a bee package for under $100 in the Houston/Humble area.

I would recommend it sooner rather than later. You don't need a terrible amount of experience to watch them, and you learn so much from them. For me, it helps me learn what the bees are doing day to day, and week to week, without having to open up the hives and disrupt their activities. If your observation hive has an excess amount of honey, but no pollen, you can bet the other hives in your yard are in a similar situation.
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 10:55:14 am »
How does the entrance/exit work with the swivel base?  Do you have any more pictures or even better the plans you used to make it?
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 12:39:29 pm »
I can't speak for Jordan, but I build one very similar that swivels. I did not use plans, but just eyeballed pictures of others and built it that way. I would love to take pictures on how it works later and share them, if you are interested. I can tell you that the majority of the swivel section is just a lazy Susan with a whole in the center, and one of these runs through the center: http://www.lowes.com/pd_31566-143-10-6BK_6_?productId=1082997&Ntt=sink&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_$50%2Bor%2Bless_6__s?Ntk=i_products$Ntt=sink$Ns=p_product_price|1 It runs straight through the top and the bottom of the 'lazy Susan' base (with a small groove to help it be flush), and with a small amount of grease, it can make the whole thing spin smoothly. A 1.5" (I think) PVC pipe fits perfectly into the Tailpipe and can connect the tube to the window. This way, the Tailpipe can actually spin with the lazy Susan, and the PVC can remain in place, and they fit so well together that the bees arn't able to gunk it up and stop it from spinning.

Again, I would be more than happy to take a few pictures of it in the future (when I am at home and have access to my camera).

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 03:22:15 pm »
WOW jordan.... that OH looks great! If I built something like that, I would have a hard time parting with it. I definitely want to get into woodworking one of these days...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 11:28:10 am »
Thanks everyone amd sorry i have not been on here recently. Yes there is a 1 1/2 PVC pipe that goes in the center and the whole hive spins on that. I do not have plans since i did like specialkay did and just made it from eyeballing and 7 different plans for observation hives that i found and purchased. I have 3 hives left 2 oak and one pine if anyone is interested. I can ship internationally also. Call for a price for international shipping though and i can give you an exact quote from UPS.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 03:16:01 pm »

Kathy do you have some pics of your setup? Would love to see 'em!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:44:45 pm »
This is my ob hive before the bees were installed. The white tube along the wall runs to the outside.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/kwrabbit/IMG_2186.jpg
A couple more pics here,although I think I loaded last pics first or vice versa:
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/kwrabbit/Observatioin%20Hive/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 09:36:19 pm »
sorry missed it.  looks like you all covered for me   :-*
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 11:06:07 pm »
This is my ob hive before the bees were installed. The white tube along the wall runs to the outside.
a couple more pics here,although I think I loaded last pics first or vice versa:

How long does your pipe run along the wall till it makes it outside? Just curious,

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 07:42:10 pm »
a couple more pics here,although I think I loaded last pics first or vice versa:

How long does your pipe run along the wall till it makes it outside? Just curious,

With a couple elbows it runs a little over 5 feet where it is now.I have it sloped slightly downhill and an elbow outside to keep strong wind gusts from blowing straight through the hive.In summer when there busy,you can hear them clawing their way through the pipe.

anything