Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Torchwood - Children of Earth  (Read 3972 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Torchwood - Children of Earth
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:12:02 am »
Howdy All:

Anyone else watch this show this week, it was a 5 part mini-series, every show one night after the other on BBC America. It is a spin off of their reqular Torchwood (same surviving characters) and Torchwood a less fantacy version (yet intertwined) with Dr. Who series. It is likely to be on the SCI-FI CHANNEL very soon, they rotate there quickly enough.

It was a very good show, each night a different cliff hanger, the covered impossible moral issues of dealing with a worldwide threat with no good outcomes. Great writing, awesome cast, very cool plot with many sub stories.

If you missed it, and can get BBS America (or the real BBC Channels I image) try to catch it.

a new series starts tonight called Being Human (I think) it is about a ghost, vampire and werewolf all living together in the city, trying to deal with everyday issues and their own curses and failings. It is a horror/drama series, not a comedy.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Torchwood - Children of Earth
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:31:54 am »
i missed the 1st  few while i was camping.  i am recording them as they reshow and i'll watch them in order.  it is one of my favorite shows, but i got a little put out with the extremes they went to with jacks relationships last year.  a little of that in tv goes a long way with me.  i hope they have tempered that a bit this season.

was it a good show??  i am disappointed that we didn't get BBCA HD.  they have been making a big deal out of it, but most companies didn't have the deals finalized.  i don't know that anyone has gotten to watch these shows in HD?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:40:12 pm »
I really liked it a lot. The relationship between Ianto and Jack developed a bit more with some surprises. Having a bi-sexual lead is different, although they down-play it being that, it obviously is a term I would use. Jack has been around for a very long time and will live forever since he cannot die.

It should be interesting to see more Torchwood, honestly Kathy, I haven't watched the previous seasons, so I had some prevail shows that helped me understand the characters. I do though think you will like it, very thought provoking plot.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 02:55:11 pm »
i hope so.  i love the cast.  last season they went really heavy on the physical side of the jack relationship.  his choice had always been known, but for some reason they felt they needed to display it.  it added nothing to the story, so i felt it kind of fell under the agenda heading.  also can't wait to see what they do with dr who this year.  another of my favorite shows!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:58:08 pm »
I liked the show and for the most part thought it was well done. I liked the way they linked this show with the Dr Who series which they also did during the regular shows. I guess if I had to make a complaint it would be toward the end when they are showing people resisting having their kids taken, did not seem real to me, not enough angry parents. I would hope that if this were to happen for real there would be more resistance, I guess thats what was good about it also, leaves you thinking if they are not taking your kids would you go out and resist or would you hide behind closed doors.
Be interesting to see if they continue with the Torchwood series.

On a side note, my girls are 14 & 16 and I have watch some of the old Dr Who series with them, I explained to them how I used to peek out from behind the couch becuase it was so scarey, they were laughing so hard at some of the older series wonder what they will watch with their kids in 20 years.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 11:17:20 pm »
i just started # 4.  you are right.  it is good.  still need to watch the dr who movie that i have taped tonight.

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:31:26 pm »
I am working this evening and hopefully just for once one of my kids followed instructions and set the DVR to tape tonights Dr Who. I just might yell a little if they did not  :-D