Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: uncapped combs  (Read 1538 times)

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
uncapped combs
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:20:04 pm »
About a couple of weeks ago when it was still pretty warm outside I was feeding my bees with syrup and about a week ago I stopped because it was cold outside. Since today is really warm and beautiful outside I diceded to look inside and there are combs with syrup that are uncapped.  Is that okay?
Thanks Art

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: uncapped combs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:41:30 pm »
No problem.  They aren't full or ripened or both.  I don't see it as a problem.  If these are top frames I'd use the Mountaincamp granular sugar feeding technique to ensure they don't end up low on stores during a cold snap though.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
Re: uncapped combs
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:23:03 pm »
I had filled some PermaComb with sugar syrup over 3 weeks ago and put the on some of my hives.  Checked back this past Monday and they were now light on syrup or eating it.  To cold to do much now but it was in the 60s so I removed that top super, covered the brood box with newspaper, slit the paper and put the super back on.  Then poured 5-8 lbs of sugur in between the frames with most of the sugar piled in the center and to the back.  These are either 8 or 10 frame boxes with only 4 frames of sugar syrup in the middle of the boxes.
De Colores,
Ken