Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found my first Feral Hive Today  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Hoot Owl Lane Bees

• New Bee
Found my first Feral Hive Today
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:51:37 pm »
I have been trying to locate this Feral hive since last May when they swarmed over my house. : :idunno: We put sugar water out when ever it got warm over the winter, some days they would hit it when it was only 45% out. I even marked several to time them so I knew they weren't over 3/4 mile away.

Well it finely warmed up longer than 2 day's and I put out some hanging feeder's with a piece of comb. I put about 5 miles on the 4 Wheeler since 2:30 today traveling from ridge to ridge. After taking compass readings on were they were flying I transferred the headings to a map from Goggle Earth. So I had a good idea were they were. I went to the spot on my map and after listening and checking any tree of good size I was able to locate them. They are about 10' up coming out of a knot hole about 2". They are on my new neighbors property. (I just met them Friday evening they didn't know we were up here.) About a 1/2 mile away how the crow flies but about 1 1/2 driving by driveway's and road. They have given me permission to harvest them.  :piano: I don't have any bees yet but I am getting 3 nukes started in my boxes by a fellow club member.

I need to know if it is to soon to set up my Cleo Hogan Jr. trap? We don't have any trees in bloom yet but they may be tomorrow. We have lots of red buds and Oak getting ready to pop. I am located in the Nat. Forest so all we have is trees and more trees.

Now I can start looking for the other 2 that have been hitting my feeders. :th_thumbsupup:

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Re: Found my first Feral Hive Today
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:04:20 pm »
Way to go and congratulations.  X:X X:X X:X

Good luck and keep us posted.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:47:44 pm »
Would you entertain the idea of putting out several swarm traps around that location instead of trapping them out?

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:49:33 am »
I won't be trapping them out. I will be harvesting from the hive. Cleo Hogan Jr. has a system were you force them to go through a brood box and then remove frames as they fill to start new hives. We will be installing it tonight and we will post pictures when set up. This hive is at least 3 years old and STRONG.
Jim

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:58:10 am »
I would think it would be easier to simply catch the cast swarms and get their genetics.  I am interested to see what you're describing looks like and how it works though.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:07:37 pm »
Sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing pictures.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:16:27 pm »
We got the harvest box up tonight. We used our two man hunting stand to set it on. The bee's were fanning at the entrance. but nun flying as it was 55 degrees and slight drizzle. I put an entrance feeder on since it is going to get cool here. I will post pictures when we get them downloaded.
Jim

Offline ScottAz

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 07:13:44 pm »
That is so cool! Can't wait for your pics....

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:01:18 pm »
Can't wait to see them.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline duryeafarms

• House Bee
Re: Re: Found my first Feral Hive Today
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 11:00:56 am »
I'm not sure I understand the concept of harvesting a strong feral colony, living in its natural environment, filling its role in that ecosystem. As someone mentioned earlier, why not attempt to capture a cast swarm and let the colony live undisturbed? Seems to me that preserving feral colonies in this type of setting would be desirable.

Offline slee

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 10:36:49 pm »
Hey all,
I agree with the idea of the swarm traps. I have two feral hives not far from me, one in a neighbors tree that I have asked for permission to put traps on his property. The other in the tree line behind the high schools ag building. I put 4-6 swarm boxes out per yr. My best yr was two yrs ago were I caught 4 swarms in the traps.

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:37 pm »
The method of harvesting is to prevent them from swarming. The feral hive draws comb on the foundation installed in the box, when they have drawn 3-4 frames you remove 2 undrawn and install 2 brood frames by the opening to the (tree in this case.) The Queen will smell the fresh brood and move to the box and start laying. You then remove the fresh brood to a new box replace the frames with other frames and let them start all over again. Thus you have a new hive and you don't have to wonder if the swarm got away.

I made mine but, Kelly Bees sells them. #890-SH  $71.00.

I need one more good day in the woods and I will have another one located East of me. The one we are talking about is do West about 1/4 mile and 400' down in a hollow.

We made some changes in our set up and we got some good video. I just don't know how to post it. When my son gets home I will have him show me how.
Jim
Hoot Owl Lane Bees

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 11:48:11 pm »
....we got some good video. I just don't know how to post it. When my son gets home I will have him show me how.
You will have to send the link of your vid to a moderator.  We cant post links on the forum until you reach a certain amount of post.  

They will be happy to add your vid to the post.

Look forward to the vid.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline MTWIBadger

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:29:37 am »
Hoot Owl

I trapped a queen out of a feral bee tree last year using Cleo Hogan Jr's method after getting details of how to do it.

One key point I have found is making the tunnel from the tree entrance to the super as short as possible.  My tunnels are 2-3 inches.  I also feel making the tunnel and connections as dark as possible is very important. I use a metal ring embedded into the tree and push the super up next to it. I then use duck tape to prevent light from getting in at the connections.

When the queen starts laying in the super, you have to decide whether to take the queen and let the feral hive re-queen or make sure she is not in the super when you remove it.

It doesn't work all the time but being patient helps.  It is a way to supercharge a weak hive with some extra brood and bees.

So far only 4 of 11 feral bee trees made it through the winter. I have 4 more to check.

anything