Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pigeon in trouble  (Read 10594 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Pigeon in trouble
« on: November 08, 2009, 04:45:50 pm »
Well we went to church today and there was a pigeon by the door. As we approached the pigeon took a couple of steps but did not fly. I went after him/her and it just walked. After grabbing it it did not seem scared or want to get away. After church it was still there even with all the kids chasing it around. I took it home and gave it was water. The darn thing about put its whole head underwater to drink and continued to drink for quite some time. I put some of the kids bird food out and it started to eat immediately, with me still there. I tried the flight test, throwing the bird in the air and its wings would come out and glide right back down. I tried the "dog scare thing" and the bird just flew up on my 4' fence and stayed with the dog under it sniffing. I could not feel any broken bones in its wings and it appeared to be in good shape. Any ideas why the thing is not flying or not affraid of people? I dont know of anyone in the area that keeps piegons, except for one that has falcons and hawks.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:29:22 pm by Shawn »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Piegon in trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:07:48 pm »
probably someones pet.  no fear and not able to figure out how to feed itself.

or it's sick, but even sick, it should show fear.

try not to stress it by throwing it in the air and having the dog chase it.  :-D  watch for a lost bird ad.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:16:09 pm »
Kathy's right, probably someones pet. It isn't afraid or trying to tear your hands apart.  It might have other damage to it internally or some damage to the wings that keep it from flying.  If the bone is just cracked or tendons torn it wouldn't be that easy to see unless you are an expert.  Look & feel for any swelling or hot spots along the wings you might find some damage that way.  Try not to stress it too much, birds don't do well with stress.  Looks like you got yourself a pigeon at least till the owners come or it heals.

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:26:30 pm »
Run your fingers along the breast bone...Sometime they fly into  wires and break the breastbone....Sometimes even, the skin breaks open and you can see the heart beat and food sometimes falls out as fast as they eat it...I have pigeons and have seen this a few times since I was about 15....Maybe, thats why he doesnt wanna try to fly.
your friend,
john

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »
It surrvived the night and sure did make a mess in the shed  :-x. I felt the wings and did not feel anything out of place. Felt the breast and it felt funny. Almost like there was no meat there or the center of the breast was sticking out. Put it back in the yard and locked the dogs up. We'll see what happens today.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 02:13:32 pm »
If it lives, you will have a loyal pet for life.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:20:24 pm »
I went to go get my new friend from the yard and he was gone. I found it on a 2x4 I use to keep the shed doors shut. He flew off to my feet and just stared. I picked him up and set him on top of the shed so the dogs could come out. I waited till dark and tried to grab him, and WAW!. So much for being my friend. He pecked at me and tried to scratch with his feet. Im guessing he is getting better after two days of eating and drinking. Maybe tomorrow he will fly fly away.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 09:34:34 pm »
If he does fly away, he will come back, bring friends, and multiply. In no time, there will be hundreds. :lau:

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 12:28:35 am »
They sure can bite for such small birds. Angry Earl has even bruised my hand!  He grabs onto the thin skin on the back and shakes it like a rottweiler! He is not in the least grateful for my saving his life, he hates me.  Fun to make him twitch though.  I don't get any extra pigeons around here cause there is a Merlin family in the area. :roll:
Jody

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Pigeon in trouble
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 12:58:17 am »
Pigeons have been a hot topic in town be because of all the droppings. They started posioning them and had to stop because of some PETA or some regulations. They are trying to find a way to get rid of them because there are so many they are causing messes every where they go. I dont mind keeping one but I would rather keep the smaller birds around the yard instead.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:30:06 pm by Shawn »

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 04:36:42 pm »
Day three of a piegons life! Went out this morning and the piegon was back under the steps where the food and water are. I let the dog out trying to get them use to each other but I forgot to shut the shed door, original location where the peigon slept. The darn piegon FLYS into the shed and took up roost where he slept the night before. I think maybe the thing is playing me  :-\. I went to grab him and it puffed up, turned sideways, and snapped its wing at me. Im off to the store to buy some bird food, hope piegons like regular bird food.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 04:40:29 pm »
sounds like she's there to stay.  do we get pictures?   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 08:06:38 pm »
Thats what I should have done, pucture. I believe its a boy but I dont know a thing about piegons. Looked out this evening and it went back to the same shed to roost. Ill put him up tonight and get some photos tomorrow.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »
Just so you know...they dont eat seeds that have shells cuz there beek isnt hard enuff to crack them......they like popcorn, hard peas,milo, oats, wheat, ..That kinda grain...My pigeons snap their wings at me when they are sitting on eggs..Ive had them bite me sometimes but the beek is too soft to hurt.(but, They can yank the flesh right offa baby birds head till theres nothing but a skull showing!)
your friend,
john

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 01:14:38 pm »
Here is the picture of the bird that I brought home to help, he stayed, and now uses the yard for his own pleasure. When you say popcorn do you mean cooked popcorn or the seed? What about rolled or cracked corn?

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 01:53:42 pm »
Shawn that is a beautiful bird!  Aren't the wingslaps fun?  You can get dove/pigeon mix.  They don't eat the rolled corn as well, cracked works better.  They also eat wheat, barley, lentils, green peas, I don't know what else is in the pigeon mix.  As long as there isn't a shell to peel off.  Earl has eaten the small black sunflower seeds and milo. Now that it knows where the food is you could probably put almost anything there to see what it will eat!

Jody

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 07:45:39 pm »
Popcorn before it gets cooked.
If the bird comes and goes at will, maybe you'll get a mate soon!
your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 06:58:40 pm »
When I first started reading this thread I thought the pigeon might have been somebody's lost racing homer but the picture is sans leg band and the size of the wattle on the beak says it's a feral pigeon.  It has now found a new  home so you're stuck with it. 
Pigeons need a mixture of grains for a balanced diet.  Regular bird seed with milo, cracked corn, wheat, and sunflower will work ok for a feral bird.  Also pigeons don't drink like most birds who scoop up water in their beak and then swallow it with head upright, pigeons drink like a horse and when really thirsty and starved, as this bird evidently was, will put their entire head under water and gulp water until full or they need to breathe.  they will then drink again.  Pigeons will usually eat and drink once a day.  Feed each bird a tablespoon of mixed grains and then give them about the same amout of water.  They prefer to eat first and then immediately drink their fill.

Nice looking blue check.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 07:58:03 pm »
Well I think thats pretty cool, you have been adopted! Must be a reason, good luck with it.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 09:27:30 pm »
We just had a snow storm and my daughter put the bird in the shed for the day and night. We will let him out tomorrow. Funny he flys to the top of the shed and flys back to the food and water twice a day, that I see. I started feeding other birds hoping to keep him company.