Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pigeon in trouble  (Read 10594 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Pigeon in trouble
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »
If you want something to keep your new tenant company find a pigeon raiser, breed doesn't matter, and obtain a 24-30 day old squeeker or 2 from him.  That is the age, just before they inprint home, when they can best be relocated without difficulty.  Of course you could trap a few feral ones, just keep them penned for a few weeks, feeding them daily, and they will soon make your home theirs.  That will work with most pigeons except for racing homers.  Racing homers will go to the place they inprinted as home years later.  I have several "prisoner" birds that would fly home if let out and have had several do so that escaped.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 06:12:06 pm »
So those of you that hvae pigeons or have had one does this one look healthy? I know it might be hard to tell from a picture but after reading things about pigeons and the diseases they can carry it worries me it might be sick. It eats and drinks fine and also seems to have no problem using the shed, sidewalk, and steps as a toliet. It still worries me why he ended up at the church and why he does not fly any higher than what he does.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 06:49:37 pm »
So those of you that hvae pigeons or have had one does this one look healthy? I know it might be hard to tell from a picture but after reading things about pigeons and the diseases they can carry it worries me it might be sick. It eats and drinks fine and also seems to have no problem using the shed, sidewalk, and steps as a toliet. It still worries me why he ended up at the church and why he does not fly any higher than what he does.

If you are concerned if he has some type of disease take the following action:
Examine the birds stool, is it runny and/or greenish in color?  If so obtain some Sulmet from your local feed store and feed it 1 tsp daily in its water for 10 days.  This is twice the required treatment period but some bugs are becoming more stubborn.  Sulmet is a very good general animal medication that can be given to every animal on my farm from pigeons, chickens, turkeys, guineas, goats, and sheep and cattle, pigs, and horses as well. 

Being a feral pigeon it is more likely a courrier rather than active infection.  Most diseases that affect pigeons are not transmittable to other poultry with the exception of Parathyroid.  Personally, I am of the opinion that the bird has incurred some injury that limits its flight ability.  I can't see the right wing in any of the photos but I suspect a slightly lower holding of that wing comopared to the left wing.  Also, even a foot or leg injury is enough to impede a pigeons flight.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 07:31:33 pm »
Thanks Brian. Ill try to get some more photos posted of the bird when the snow goes away. I guess  if the bird is going to stay I will have to make a better home for it. If I cut a hole in the upper part of the shed and put a box on the inside of the shed where I can get into it to clean it weekly do you think the bird will use it? Its kind of a nussiance to get the bird from the top of the shed and put it inside nightly. If it can fly to the top surly it could fly to the opening to get out of the weather.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:46 pm »
Just a couple more photos. I checked out the droppings and everything looked ok, white on bottom dark on top and middle and did not look runny. I had to get on the ladder to take the photographs and the bird flew down into the beeyard and just kind of flicked his head as he walked away.

appears to be grooming itself.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 07:38:17 pm »
Thanks for posting the pics, the middle one showed me what I needed to know.  The flight feathers on the right side are below the mid line of the back, the flight feathers are below the tail feathers, so that would denote some injury to that wing, much like Peka-boo's Ernest. 

Pigeons don't need a lot of looking after and too much attention makes them nervous, not enough to leave but enough to to lay eggs often but since you only have the 1 eggs aren't going to be a problem.  Pigeons like a deep litter, I use 4-6 inches of cedar shavings as they not only absorb the odor but inhibit lice.  Pull the top layer of shavings with doo-doo once a month and your bird will be happy.  Don't be surprized if it shows up with a mate in the next few months.

Pigeons are to birds what bees are to insects, very interesting to watch.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 01:47:13 pm »
Well I guess I did my job because today the pigeon is gone. We'll have to see if he liked it here or not and maybe one day return.