Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Swarm Identification  (Read 3214 times)

Offline jeep29

• Brood
Bee Swarm Identification
« on: October 09, 2011, 05:16:35 am »
Hi all,

First post, I should say that I'm not really a beekeeper or bee enthusiast, but a couple of days ago a sizeable bee hive appeared in my back yard, and I was hoping that I could get the opinions of some of the knowledgeable types on here regarding what type of bees they are.

They have clustered together on a dracaena plant which is in a large pot and very accesible beside the pool.

I have a pic of the hive, and a close up of some of the bees which I've sent to the admin to put into this post. The hive is about 30cm tall.

So, are they dangerous and should they be removed in any event? I have a dog who's getting old and I don't want him stumbling into an angry swarm of bees, and there are often children and guests around too.

If they should be removed, who would be the best contact?

I live at Fig Tree Pocket (near Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary) in the Western Suburbs of Brisbane, QLD.

Quick responses woud be much appreciated (Once the photos are up, of course).

Many thanks,

Jon

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:12:33 am by buzzbee »

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
Re: Bee Swarm Identification
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:52:13 am »
Jon,  Give your local council a call first thing in the morning & let them know that you have a swarm that needs to be removed. If that fails give the DPI a call & ask them for assistance.  Both organisations should have a list of people who will collect swarms.  Don't spray them with anything or disturb them.  They won't hurt you or your dog - just steer clear of them until you can arrange for a beekeeper to come & collect them.  Yanta

Offline jeep29

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 06:19:17 am »
Thanks Yanta,

I'll do as you say first thing.

I've sent the photos to the admin, and if you have any ideas on what type they are once the pics go up I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:37:07 am »
Jon, From your written description I would say they are you good old garden variety european honey bees.  If they have been hanging around for a few days just stay away from them.  A beekeeper will take them off your hands and give them a good home.  Yanta

Offline Monster1970

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »
Jan,

I have removed hives from your area (Fig Tree Pocket) before. If they are still there and need moving, please feel free to call me on 0417 688 812.
We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster.  

Carl Sagan.

Offline lilyfrog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 06:55:02 am »
Hi Jeep29,

How did you go with the swarm removal?

I have been away with work and only just seen your post.

if you need anyhelp seand me a message, I live at Bellbowrie, and go through your way almost every day

cheers
Mark
========================================================
"At the end of the day, you can't eat money, but it sure helps pay the bills."