Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Metal Detectors  (Read 16956 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Metal Detectors
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:40:20 pm »
I'm looking into getting me a metal detector, but im not going to spend over $600.00 for one, I like the whites but man they cost, I am favoring a Fisher 1270, looked at some Garrett's but dont know a lot about them... any of you out there have any experience with any good metal detectors, Im going to hunt beaches, old home steads and civil war fields, just if you wondered what I was going to use in on....Im still leaning towards the fisher 1270... thanks in advance!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JWW

• New Bee
Metal Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:29:12 pm »
I can only sperak for the Whites. I've had a Silver Eagle for many years now and it has performed admirably with never any trouble. I usually go down to Myrtle Beach a couple of times a year and it works under beach conditions as well as I could expect. I don't think you could go wrong with a Whites.
"Everybody has a story, take a moment to listen"

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Metal Detectors
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:38:28 am »
JWW, I go to Myrtle Beach 1-2 times a year, we always stay on the beach about 200 yards north of the Surf-side pier, have you ever searched that area and what kinda of finds have you found there at Myrtle Beach??

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline JWW

• New Bee
Metal Detectors
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:47:34 am »
Quote from: TwT
JWW, I go to Myrtle Beach 1-2 times a year, we always stay on the beach about 200 yards north of the Surf-side pier, have you ever searched that area and what kinda of finds have you found there at Myrtle Beach??

TwT,
We stay at 24th ave and Ocean Boulevard. For the life of me I can't think of the name of the pier that was below us but I did get down that way several times. You are libel to find anything. I have a sackfull of old room keys from when they still used mechanical locks.

I have found some old shell casings, bigger than 50cal., but so corroded that I couldn't read the caliber.

Some of my better finds were gold rings and chains. The most finds are coins, lots and lots of coins. I have also found silver chains and a silver  ring or two.

I spent my first visit or two getting used to detecting on the beach and what part of the beach to hunt. I expected the local guys and gals to give me some pointers but they saw me as a threat and were not so friendly. You would see them out every day sometimes twice.

I bought my detector from Kellyco which at the time had a really great price on them, I am thinking it was maybe an end of the year model change or something.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Metal Detectors
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 01:40:54 pm »
ok if you look at the map by surfside beach and look at 10th street, we are on the beach near the end of 10th street.... looks like a few miles from you, when the tide is low that when I want to look for stuff with a metal detector, probably most of the day during all tides  :wink:

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline JWW

• New Bee
Metal Detectors
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:23:54 pm »
Ted you are apparently a lot more computer savvy than I am, it does look like we are several blocks apart.

Like an old fellow told me once, "you won't find anything where there ain't been no people". I usually try and keep that in mind and look for where people have been sitting of laying out.

Low tides are certainly important and depending on how I was feeling that particular day I would start in what ever direction I was going to go either up or down the beach and start before low tide and then turn and work the section coming back where the tide was lowest.

My experience has been that there are two categories of lost items, those that have been there just a few hours(probably lost that day or so) and those that have been there awhile and been moved toward the ocean and buried deeper by the tides.

There are several schools of thought on where and how to hunt the beach but I guess I have developed my own technique using a little from this theory and a little from that one and I'm sure you will also.

The one thing that I guess I was expecting when I first took mine to the beach was to find a lot of valuables. Well that just has never happened but it is one of the most enjoyable activities that I have found.

Plan on getting stopped and ask questions about how that "thing" works and what have you found and on and on. I've met a lot of really nice people at the beach from all over North America.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Metal Detectors
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 01:56:28 am »
We used to go to Myrtle Beach on weekends when I was stationed at Shaw A.F.B. (back before they closed Myrtle Beach A.F.B.).  Walked by a bar, across the street from the Pavillion, called the Bowery just off the boardwalk and watched a band called Alabama, a ceiling dancing go-go dancer and the worlds biggest go-go dancer (that's how she was billed if memory serves).  Bought an album or two (Alabama #2)  had a blast and saw alot of metal detectors working.  Real bulky affairs then.

How deep can they read?  Does it depend on the type of metal or how much metal is there?  Where is the best places to look for them?  We have some areas around here I would like to check out.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline JWW

• New Bee
Metal Detectors
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 03:52:35 pm »
Those were good times David, and of course we all know what Alabama became. I was not lucky enough to have seen them before they made it big but they didn't forget where they started from. Abandoning the AFB was a huge waste.

The depth does depend on the metal and how big and how long it's been there. Generally speaking my detector will pickup targets at 12+ inches deep. The next thing is to determine if you think the target is worth digging for depending on what you think it may be and the soil conditions (hard as a rock or soft).

The detector I use takes much of the guess work out of target ID and depth, it is very accurate on both.

Away from the beach I usually look for old home sites that are abandoned or that have been torn down, parks, fairs, carnivals,etc.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Metal Detectors
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 07:21:29 pm »
From my husband, who is currently investigating metal detectors to buy:

White uses one or two frequencies, depending on the model.  There's a brand (Minelabs) out there that uses seventeen or twenty-four frequencies.  The multiple frequencies makes a detector work in wet soil or mineralized soil.  Garret is also a brand to look into.  You can buy them online cheaper than you can in a storefront.  The Minelabs Sovereign GT costs approx $750, has a four year warranty without a control box but is, in my opinion, one of the best ones on the market.  If you hold out and spend the extra $150 you won't be disappointed.  Multiple frequency is the way to go.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 01:27:21 am »
   So at least two of the preferred are Minelab and White brands.  Thanks, at least I've got something to work with now.

JWW!

Yeah it was a great time.  Unfortunate it came to an end.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 07:34:05 am »
well I think for relic hunting which is what I will do most I think im going to a Nautilus IIb , they seems to be the best relic hunting machine out there, the Nautilus has won the  GNRS (Grand National Relic Shootout) 4 OF THE LAST 5 YEARS, if was  tough for me to choose between the Vaquero (Tereso) which has a life time warranty and the Nautilus, heck I am still thinking between the two but think Im going to buy the Nautilus....

http://www.nautilusmetaldetectors.com/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:39:25 am by TwT »

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 12:20:29 pm »
I have been using a metal detector but really I have not patience. Looking for Carambolos´s treasures exhaust one´s patience.
But I have found any old coins...Could be a Phenician one, or Roman, perhaps from the Goths (Visigodos), or Arabs, or from the Spanish Golden age, ... pues no, no gold. Probably the owners were poor peasants.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:16:57 pm by abejaruco »

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 03:56:07 pm »
nice finds!!!!

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 08:13:19 pm »
im thinking about getting into it to if i get to know anymore ill let you know
hope to talk soon, weinieboy
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 01:12:39 am »
well made my mind up and im getting a Minelab Sovereign GT, my wife also went to Radio Shack and bought 2 detectors for my girls, she bought Bounty hunter Discovery 1100 (two of them) they normally cost $50 but or on sale for $39, Josh the Bounty Hunter 1100's are very good detector's and good for the beginner , here's a pic of the one i am getting.....

Sov GT

heres a picture of the box of the Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 12:41:57 am »
Metal detecting! I am trying so hard not to buy one. Go to any of the detecting forums and you will get gold fever nop problemo!

Minelab is the chice of champions, I bet you didnt tell the trouble n strife how much they cost!!!

Good luck with it! post some finds!

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 08:45:40 pm »
    A common problem is a new owner buys a detector that is more complicated than they can handle. Be patient.
  I started back in the early 1970's in Dade County, Fla. Had a Jetco and worked the beaches. Back then you could hunt almost anywhere and find a couple hundred coins and a couple rings. Even with a junker like a Jetco BFR.
  The key to finding things isn't so much the detector, though it helps, but in learning how it works. It will seem to get better as you use it and learn to "speak its language".
  I can say that every detector I have ever bought paid for its self.
  Post a few finds, it helps the addiction.

wayne

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 09:32:56 pm »
I have a garrett and I love it I havent found "big" finds but I look mostly on old home site and come up with old mining scripts from the local mines that date back in to the 50's - 60's

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 09:11:05 am »
well made my mind up and im getting a Minelab Sovereign GT, (snip)
My husband ended up getting one of these, too.  Have you had a chance to use yours yet?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 08:43:44 pm »
My husband ended up getting one of these, too.  Have you had a chance to use yours yet?

yeh, I have used it a few times, found some loose change, haven't really taken it out of the yard or pasture yet but will soon make some day trips to the beaches and some old home site's..

Amateurs built the ark,

anything