Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are these bees up to?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline johnauck

• House Bee
  • Smalltime Beekeeper In Victoria Australia
    • Our Permaculture SIte
What are these bees up to?
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:13:50 am »
Hi,

I have a reasonably strong hive that always has a lot of bees hanging around the entrance. Mostly they are upside down close to the base board and just sitting there, not fanning but kind of vibrating, and moving their front legs.

I observe this behaviour when it a cool day and at night. So I am not sure if they are bearding. A lot more when it is hot, which is understandable.

The bees in the hive next door don't do it.

I'm just curious as to what this behaviour might mean? Or if its just normal bearding?

regards

john

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
Re: What are these bees up to?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:27:10 am »
From what you are describing it sounds like washboarding. To me it looks like a line dance for bees. I have had 300-400 at times washboarding, and it seems to happen when life is good in the hive. Most of the time they seem to be in unison. Check out washboarding on YouTube and see if that is not what you are observing.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline johnauck

• House Bee
  • Smalltime Beekeeper In Victoria Australia
    • Our Permaculture SIte
Re: What are these bees up to?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:53:35 am »
Ahh right thanx, yes they are dancing, in lines. I did think they were doing a line dance, and there are several rows of them in line.

Yes life must be good for them, they are filling up those supers fast.

I will check out youtobube, or may be make my own :-)

cheers

john

anything