Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where and which direction?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline snmyork

• House Bee
Where and which direction?
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:17 am »
I know that I can get different answers for these questions but would just like to know. I currently have one hive that I caught in a swarm trap and moved it into 8 frame equipment. It is still in the original location behind my shed since last year. Since a storm came through last year and blew down many trees it has opened the area for more sunlight. The front half of my property does not have many trees with my garden to the side. So here are the questions that I have. Since I will be getting more hives soon, where would be the best place to set up my bee hive stands in full sun or in the wooded area that has been opened up to get more sun since the storm last year? Also which direction to face the hives? Here are the question without the details.

Where to place in full sun or semi-shady? Which direction to face the hives?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Where and which direction?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:57:32 am »
In SC you want full sun to help with SHB.  Some shade from 3-5 pm would be ok.   Face the hives SE or S.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline snmyork

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:56:05 am »
Here is another question regarding moving the current hive. It will need to be moved about 50 yards to the new location. I know the general rule is 3 inches or 3 miles. What would be the most effective way as now it has 2 deeps and a shallow.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:45:23 am »
1... WORRY LESS ABOUT IT THAN MOST POSTERS ARE GOING TO TELL YOU.

2.. MOVE IT ANY SAFE WAY YOU CAN, THEN RELAX WHEN YOU SEE FORAGERS RETURN TO THE OLD SITE. THEY WILL FIND THE NEW SITE IN A DAY OR 3.

3..FULL SUN AND SOUTH TO EAST. I LIKE EAST, BUT THE LOCATION SAYS MOST.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline snmyork

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:26:20 am »
Thanks for the help.

anything