Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Windows  (Read 3306 times)

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
Observation Windows
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:41:55 pm »
I just transferred a swarm (after 4 days) from my swarm catcher box into a TBH.  This TBH has a plexiglass observation window.  Question:  Do I need to keep this "window" covered while I am not taking a peek?

...Tim

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
Re: Observation Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 01:42:50 pm »
Yes.  Keep it covered.  Bees do not like the light.  During inspection, I've taken my observation window cover off, and noticed the bees flying into the window.

They probably wont stay too long with too much light.

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:46:56 pm »
Thanks MTBE, I have gone back out and covered it up.

...Tim

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:03:34 pm »
tshnc01--I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this one rather than starting a new thread.

If my observation window is fogged up after a couple rainy days, do I need to work on ventilating my hive better? If so, where should I have ventilation holes? For now, I just propped up the back end of the cover to help them dry it out. My entrance is on one end. Where else should I have entrances/holes? On one hive, the lid is loose enough that bees are getting in underneath the lid. Will this be a problem in winter?

Thanks!

luvin honey
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 01:59:32 pm »
tshnc01--I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this one rather than starting a new thread.

If my observation window is fogged up after a couple rainy days, do I need to work on ventilating my hive better? If so, where should I have ventilation holes? For now, I just propped up the back end of the cover to help them dry it out. My entrance is on one end. Where else should I have entrances/holes? On one hive, the lid is loose enough that bees are getting in underneath the lid. Will this be a problem in winter?

Thanks!

luvin honey

Fog on an observation window sounds bad. I don't have any with observation windows, but clearly there's too much moisture and not enough venting.

I'd drill a 1/2" hole near the top of either end and then staple #8 hardware cloth over it to keep it from being used as an entrace.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »

I've noticed some condensation on the glass, early in the mornings.  No worries there.

But fog?  That is humid. 

I would think a few days is probably okay.  They're not bringing in honey yet and don't have to dehumidify it.

Just my $0.02.  I'm new at the TBH too.....