Welcome, Guest

Poll

Over time, how has your reaction to stings changed?

No change - always minor reaction
No change - always major reaction
Reactions have decreased in severity over time
Reactions have worsened in severity over time

Author Topic: Poll - Stings and building up immunity  (Read 11552 times)

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
Re: Poll - Stings and building up immunity
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 01:30:19 pm »
Until a few weeks ago I was one of those rare beekeepers who had never been stung. About three weeks ago I took two on the ankle. It was not nearly as bad as the anticipation. It did Itch the next two days. Then a week ago I did my first cut out. I got stung through my gloves four or five times, on the ankles several times and after I was finished and over a hundred yards away with my Vail off I got one on the ear. The first couple hurt a little. After that I barely noticed them. I would not have even realized I got one on the ear except she kept buzzing in my ear until I looked in the truck mirror and saw her stuck there by the stinger. The next couple of days I had a lot of itching and my hands were stiff but overall not bad.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 02:15:08 am »
I WISH I was one of those beeks that never gets stung  :roll: Unfortunately, I've gotten 12 in 6 weeks. Might have something to do with not really smoking and never wearing gloves.

The one on my face I expected to be really bad but it did not swell at all. Two on my thighs got hugely swollen, while another 2 on my legs did not. Most of those on my hands swell enormously (think bear paw), but occasionally they have not. Very hard to understand the differences in reactions. I always immediately scrape the stingers out with my fillet knife that I use for cutting off attachments.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »
Decrease --- at least I think. Sometimes depends on number of times and location :shock:!

The worst so far was 21 times on one hand. Hard headed ;)! I did get stung on the tounge as a teenager, drinking a coke. They taste awful --- not like chocolate cover ants--- I guess (never had those either) :-D!

I know a beekeeper who has been stung hundreds of times over the years. About two years ago he received the one that put him over the top. Basically woke up at hospital. You can not show a reaction for years and all of a sudden have one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:39:47 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 10:53:06 pm »
You know, Ive heard of the part about being stung lots of times for years, then one sting screws you up......I wonder if this means that every sting from then on is a dangerous one too?

your friend,
john

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009, 01:11:22 am »
Well his doctor said don't chance it. I think he had a choice of going through the detox program ;)
John 3:16

anything