Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive, entrance tube  (Read 2600 times)

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
Observation Hive, entrance tube
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:40:02 pm »
If I want to make an observation hive, but I can't locate it near a window, or wall for that matter.  How long can I make the tube, before I run into problems.

I'm an engineer, and I'm stuck in the basement for 12 hours a day.
I have a lot of work tables, and I could free one up for a Hive, but the tube to the outside would be 15 feet long.

I pretty much wrote the idea off, but so many feral hives (in buildings), have odd entrances, and long distances too.

I was wondering if anyone has run up against this before?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Observation Hive, entrance tube
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:56:02 am »
>If I want to make an observation hive, but I can't locate it near a window, or wall for that matter.  How long can I make the tube, before I run into problems.

I've done some pretty long ones before.  The problems are getting them used to it (learning that long trip to the door) and that the house bees will get lazy and plug up the tube because they don't go all the way to the door.  Shorter is better, but they can adjust to longer.

>I'm an engineer, and I'm stuck in the basement for 12 hours a day.
I have a lot of work tables, and I could free one up for a Hive, but the tube to the outside would be 15 feet long.

I've done them about that long before.  But they aren't ideal.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:14:17 am »
What about tubing versus, say PVC pipe.

For a run of that distance, what should I be looking for in terms of diameter?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:18:24 am »
I don't know much about ideal diameter vs length.

I do know that I use 1.5 inch clear tubing, and I like that, although my run is only around 2 feet.  If there would be a blockage, I could easily tell where, and it is nice to see them going and coming.  Tubing would be a little more trouble if you have turns, kinking and all.

Rick
Rick

anything