Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter stores gone already!?  (Read 3126 times)

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Winter stores gone already!?
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:25:25 pm »

Took the opportunity yesterday to look into a couple of my hives. I was shocked at how little winter stores were there. These were hives that I left well stocked when I harvested . They are now all but depleted of stores.

I am making some candy boards to put in the hives. I am wondering what folks think of feeding syrup this late in the season? I will probably put on some feeders just to see if they will take the syrup, but I am a little concerned about adding moisture to the mix when it is cold out.

I also thought about open feeding. But if it is too cold out they won’t get to it.

I'm in Northern Colorado, along the front range at about 5300 ft. Last week we seemed to suddenly turn to winter type weather. It has been in the 70's but now in 50's and 40's dropping in to the low 30's at night and will stay so for foreseeable future.

Any Thoughts?

Alfred

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Winter stores gone already!?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »
Our weather has turned to crap too. :(  I think it’s too cold for syrup here and I sure wouldn’t want to start a robbing frenzy.  I would go with honey balls/patties if they are really light.  Candy board would probably be fine too.  A good insulation plan would help the stores last longer.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:42:51 pm »
  I think it’s too cold for syrup here and I sure wouldn’t want to start a robbing frenzy. 

Seems like they might have already been robbed...

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:15:45 am »
Yep, tjc is probably right!  Better do something with regards to food.

It's also a good time to be narrowing down the entrances for winter and that should at least slow any new robbing down.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 07:17:58 am »

Took the opportunity yesterday to look into a couple of my hives. I was shocked at how little winter stores were there. These were hives that I left well stocked when I harvested . They are now all but depleted of stores.

I am making some candy boards to put in the hives. I am wondering what folks think of feeding syrup this late in the season? I will probably put on some feeders just to see if they will take the syrup, but I am a little concerned about adding moisture to the mix when it is cold out.

I also thought about open feeding. But if it is too cold out they won’t get to it.

I'm in Northern Colorado, along the front range at about 5300 ft. Last week we seemed to suddenly turn to winter type weather. It has been in the 70's but now in 50's and 40's dropping in to the low 30's at night and will stay so for foreseeable future.

Any Thoughts?

Alfred

This is precisely why we STOP taking any honey in August.  Its EASY to take too much and leave bees near starvation before winter even begins.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:32:09 am »
Hey, Guys up North, I haven't seen anyone mention dry sugar placed on top of the brood yet. Since the OP was concerned with moisture I was under the impression that sugar could actually help with that also.

Disclaimer: Just a southern beekeeper, I don't know much about the lands covered with snow and ice. I only post in an attempt to help.
Later,
Ray

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:23:51 pm »
I did my last harvest in late august and at that time I reduced the entrances to about an inch and a half. I left a lot of stores behind. I did see signs of robbing at one of the hives earlier in the month and reduced the entrance further, which seemed to calm the robbing down. Didn't see robbing at other hives though.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:28:52 pm »
Hey, Guys up North, I haven't seen anyone mention dry sugar placed on top of the brood yet. Since the OP was concerned with moisture I was under the impression that sugar could actually help with that also.

Disclaimer: Just a southern beekeeper, I don't know much about the lands covered with snow and ice. I only post in an attempt to help.

Actually, I posted my current method of placing dry sugar on this forum today.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 02:59:27 pm »
i usually put my dry sugar on about now.  i'm out of town, so it will have to wait a bit.  i check on it any day that they are flying.  it has the advantage of being really quick to check and replace without disturbing the hive. 

it does help absorb some of the moisture.  if you live in a really dry climate you may need to spritz yours a bit. that's something i never need to do!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 05:42:53 pm »
Each of my 5 colonies will get 5-10 lbs of sugar this week as I close them up, likely tomorrow.  Todays high was/is 33F with snow flurries, fed them the last warm syrup they'll get from me until March this AM.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Tbeek - could you post a link to that?

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 01:28:54 am »
Each of my 5 colonies will get 5-10 lbs of sugar this week as I close them up, likely tomorrow.  Todays high was/is 33F with snow flurries, fed them the last warm syrup they'll get from me until March this AM.

High 73f low 61F today. I'm feeling for you guys already.
Later,
Ray

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 04:12:11 am »

[/quote]

Hi Tbeek - could you post a link to that?
[/quote]

Don't know how to post a link, kinda sounds kinky.  The Thread title is 'winter preparations' see reply #16  :-D

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 11:01:26 am »

Well. I calculated how much you need dry sugar to catch the water arising from consumed sugar in the hive.

When hive has 20 kg winter food, it produces 67% water. It is 13 kg or litres water.

How much you need sugar....

Let suppose that sugar takes in 20% water, it starts to leak.
Let's choose 10% water content....so we need 130 kg dry sugar to catch the water

Is it easier if you feed 66% sugar syrup to bees the box full. So it goes in normal way.

Language barrier NOT included

anything