Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My new toy....  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
My new toy....
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:41:26 pm »
Well, I finally got it. Let me know what you think. It is a medium as you can see holds 11 frames. I am going to put it on my hive that is really cranking later tonight I think. I have a really strong hive that is about done with a deep full of honey. So I think that I will place this ontop and see what happens.
Let me know what you all think.

I cannot wait to get some photos of this thing on the hive
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Re: My new toy....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:32:52 pm »
Looks cool, i escpicaially like the clear handles that you put on it. How did you cut the groove on the inside for the frames to sit inside of though?

I made somthing like this earlyier this year but it was a plexiglass inner cover, it ws realy cool to see the bees working without disturbing them.
Be sure to update us and tell us how it goes and show some more pictures of them building out the comb.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:41:41 pm »
Man that is to nice to put on the hive and get all that nasty wax, propolis, and honey on it..  I can't wait to see all the pics though, great job.

Looks cool, i escpicaially like the clear handles that you put on it. How did you cut the groove on the inside for the frames to sit inside of though?

I made somthing like this earlyier this year but it was a plexiglass inner cover, it ws realy cool to see the bees working without disturbing them.
Be sure to update us and tell us how it goes and show some more pictures of them building out the comb.

I think he glued a piece on the inside to be a frame rest or at least that is the way it looks to me.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:09:16 am »
I like it -its been done before -keep it out of the sun or you will have a melt down ;)                                                            http://www.badassbees.com/roundobs/mtdomeend.jpg   RDY-B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 01:27:26 am »
Need curtains around it or the comb will melt.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:11:34 am »
Yea, I just glued a piece on the sides for the frames to rest on. I have them in partial indirect sun. I have a cover for it, but I am going to try it and see. I leave the top back about 1/2 inch for a top entrance and we don't get much here for humidity. So I think that I will be fine, but have a cover just in case....
I have pics from putting it on last night I will post here later.
Thanks all. I love the hive in the half round.... That is just plain cool!!!!
Need to do that next year, what do you think that compares to, a nuc??? Size wise??
F
Ok, here are the pics of it on the hive

My wife and our mentor Mark. He is so awesome, He was more excited with the new clear medium than I was!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:14:32 pm by Frantz »
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"