Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 for 1  (Read 2794 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
2 for 1
« on: July 20, 2010, 01:40:41 am »
Ok, giving this a shot...here's the first (I'm really bad at this stuff so be patient pleeze!).

cook shed cut out part 1.wmv

*Note: No trash bags full of brood comb were used in the making of this video

Part two to follow

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: 2 for 1
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:55:38 am »
Enjoyed it! No honey or nectar and yet still nice bees!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:56:25 am »
Everyone is so relaxed, both the humans and the bees.

Is it really a ginsu knife?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:37:43 am »
That is the same knife I have been using for years, they work great.

A serrated edge will saw the combs nicely and that forked end will slide between combs and cut the brace comb.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:27:50 am »
Ginsu knives are fantastic for a few reasons: they stay sharp, no matter what you put them through and they are flexible, which I find a prerequisite for a good cut out knife.

I like my current knife but miss my Ginsu I left at a cut out about two years ago.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:04:00 am »
I see Peggy got more camera time in video1 As you can tell I watched video 2 first I'm always doing things backwards :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:36:52 pm »
Great video.   Why do you think they had no food store?

And how do we know that all that brood did not go into a trash bag after you got home?   

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »
Allen, I looked carefully in every bit of comb and saw 0 nectar...poor things were starving. The other colony had nectar but very little and neither had capped honey.

If you notice towards the end you can see the brood comb go into a hive body...no trash bags! :-D There was a good bit of empty comb there that did get rendered. It looked as if that wall had been occupied by as many as 5 previous colonies. For some reason (my stupidity I expect) the clip where I showed this and all of the hive beetle and wax moth damage was omitted.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:23:36 pm »
On the nectar,  Maybe they were a new swarm just getting started?  Or just robbed out?  Or lost their foragers a while back?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:51:58 pm »
I think you may be right on this. Given how many times this wall cavity had been occupied in the past it's reasonable to assume this colony had moved in fairly recently. There was 4 frames of brood though and I did see one starting to emerge so it had to be at least 3-4 weeks old. I think everything they were bringing in was being consumed...just not enough resources to store.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:20:53 am »
My first 3-4 removals of this season were like that. Bees were barely squeaking by. No stores and hardly any nectar. Good thing y'all were there to bail them out.

...JP

anything