Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting registered and licensed to sell my honey to locals?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
How do you go about registering your hives and being able to sell your own honey in your on jars for you own profit legaly and safely? Who do i contact to do this in arkansas?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Getting registered and licensed to sell my honey to locals?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:23:02 am »
If the bees are registered with your local extension agent that part of the process is taken care of.  As to setting up a home processing site, contact the local health department for guidence.  You will need to obtain a food handlers permit and have your site inspected inorder to be in complete compliance of the law.  Iform them that you intend to sell organic or natural honey--nonpasturized.

To keep the operation simple, I would do the least amount of processing as is allowed.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:44:17 am »
here in Ga. we don't have to have our hives registered, we can sale  honey from our homes or from a flea market and not need any permits but if we sale in stores we have have a honey house separate from other buildings and it has to be inspected by FDA inspector to get a permit. I sale all mine just from home and sale out every year.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:58:49 pm »
twt has the right idea sell out the back door. By all means don't say that you are going to sell organic honey. That opens up a lot of doors with problems you don't need.   Charlie

Offline Wis Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 12:48:23 am »

I wouldn't doubt that every State is a little bit different in their regulations.

Here are a couple links that may help your search.

http://www.arbeekeepers.org/

http://www.plantboard.org/apiary/honey-bees/index.html

Offline abates99

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 01:04:29 pm »
In Arkansas it is the law that all bee yards must be registered with the state plant board.  All bee's that are sold or moved in the state are also required to be inspected by the state apiary inspector, who may also inspect hives at random.  You can download the forms and view all of the laws by going to     plantboard.org/plant_apiary.html  you can also call the state board and they will be very helpfull.  When I did it this spring I was bothered by having to register my bee yards and submit for inspections but after I learned more about why it is required (AHB's moving into state and now CCD) and talking to the folks at the board I realized that it isnt as bad as it seems.  As far as registering to sell honey I have no idea I do not think there are requirments but I havent gotten to that stage, the best thing would be to contact someone with the state association    arbeekeepers.org/index.htm  .  I will try to help if I can. If you dont mind where in AR are you located.