Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Moths and Foundation  (Read 3252 times)

Offline ndvan

• House Bee
Wax Moths and Foundation
« on: March 04, 2007, 08:49:22 am »
I have some wax foundation that I've installed in frames.  Its not drawn out and never been used.  If I put that in the garage, will wax moths bother it?  Will they get to it in the house?

Thanks,

ndvan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Wax Moths and Foundation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 12:00:17 pm »
>If I put that in the garage, will wax moths bother it?

Sometimes, but usually not.

> Will they get to it in the house?

Sometimes, but usually not.  There are a lot of them living in my basement because of an experiment in storing combs gone bad.

The bigger issue is that it will sag eventually.  Is it wired? The higher the temps the quicker it sags.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ndvan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 04:34:49 pm »
Yes its all wired.  Most of this is going to be put in my hives when the bees arrive.  I'll have 6 medium boxes, and I was thinking of putting foundation in 50 frames right now so they would be ready when needed.  (Also, there's no yardwork now so I've got more time.)  Do you think it would it be smarter to wait until I'm adding boxes to install the foundation? 

thanks, ndvan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 04:48:11 pm »
>Do you think it would it be smarter to wait until I'm adding boxes to install the foundation? 

Always.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 10:07:15 pm »
ndvan.
 Your bees will probably be here in about 4 weeks or so. Don't let it sneak up on you.
I installed wired foundation in 100 frames during the last ice storm it's just fine. I store the frames in the new brood boxes out it the garage. I have some wired shallow foundation stored the same way for 7 or 8 years now I just ran across it last week cleaning out the garage, last summer it was 110 several times in there and it's still in good shape. Wax moths arent really interested in bees wax. They feed on the protein from the cocoons from what I understand.

Greg
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:32:15 pm »
>Wax moths arent really interested in bees wax. They feed on the protein from the cocoons from what I understand.

That would be their prefer ed diet, but I could snap some pictures of cocoons on a solid block of clean wax in my basement right now.
-------------------

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:17:09 pm »
 Cool Got worms in the wax?
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:48 pm »
>Got worms in the wax?

No.  Just ON the wax.
-------------------

anything