Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey supers and small cell  (Read 1744 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Honey supers and small cell
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:33:49 pm »
I have a huge supply of thin surplus from last year.  I'm regressing my bees to small cell. 

Should it matter if I use large cell thin surplus in the honey supers?  They will continue to have me feeding in small cell or SC starter strip frames into the brood box, but I think it shouldn't matter about the honey supers.

I also have natural "starter strips" in my crush and strain frames from last year and plan to use those as well, but with the tulip poplar flow starting probably next week, I'd like to have the bees make me some more chunk honey with the thin surplus so that they don't have to build comb while the flow is starting.

Thoughts?

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Honey supers and small cell
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:44:05 am »
You can use the large cell for the honey supers.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:59:53 am »
>Should it matter if I use large cell thin surplus in the honey supers?

I'd rather use 7/11 and no excluder than large cell.  But if you can keep the queen out of it, it probably won't hurt.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:19:19 pm »
Since I'm trying to get the small cell to work, I'll use the thin surplus in my hive from last year that is growing stronger but not working on regression yet. 

I own two excluders that so far have only gathered dust and that I plan to donate to the bee club at the September auction....although they may not sell even there - last year there were about 30 excluders at the auction and they practically gave them away.

I'll give the bees in my new hives, who are in the regression process, the frames from last year that I cut the comb out of, leaving remnants for the to use as guides for making their own comb.  After making a mess in their first drawing out attempts, I'll make sure that at least one frame has drawn comb from last year.

Thanks for keeping me on track, Michael.

Linda T

anything