Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sugar dust new package ????  (Read 2430 times)

Offline the kid

• House Bee
sugar dust new package ????
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:15:55 pm »
 just got the call from the bee supplyer and he said the girls will bee in on fri and we can pick up fri or sat ...    now I have this brain storm ,,,  would it bee ok to powder sugar dust the package ,,, when there still in the box ,befor we instal ????   that way they have some thing to do  ( other then sting the h--- out of us )  and get rid of most if not all the mites ,, befor they get in the hive ...     I thought I would dust them about a half hour befor putting them in the hive ....     OK  OK OK  dumb Idea but  ,, it can'nt hurt  or can it ????
come on now ,, dont shoot it down so fast ,, it hasn't got off the ground yet ...
the kid

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: sugar dust new package ????
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:12:34 pm »
just got the call from the bee supplyer and he said the girls will bee in on fri and we can pick up fri or sat ...    now I have this brain storm ,,,  would it bee ok to powder sugar dust the package ,,, when there still in the box ,befor we instal ????   that way they have some thing to do  ( other then sting the h--- out of us )  and get rid of most if not all the mites ,, befor they get in the hive ...     I thought I would dust them about a half hour befor putting them in the hive ....     OK  OK OK  dumb Idea but  ,, it can'nt hurt  or can it ????
come on now ,, dont shoot it down so fast ,, it hasn't got off the ground yet ...
the kid

Imo, this is a very good idea. I was looking at a swarm today that had a few mites on them. It was a swarm I caught two days ago and then, while looking for the queen I noticed a mite on one of the bees. Good idea, Imo.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: sugar dust new package ????
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:16:39 am »
Yes you can dust them in the package.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin