Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do You Own a Smart Phone - how about an Ipod Touch???  (Read 10930 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Do You Own a Smart Phone - how about an Ipod Touch???
« on: December 21, 2011, 03:48:41 pm »
Rewritten after the headache I had went away

For an early Christmas Present my wonderful wife let me go shopping knowing what I intended to buy. I always research heavily before buying anything and I wanted the IPOD TOUCH 4th Generation with 64Gig memory.

I've never owned an Apple product before, but the more I searched the more I realized that it does almost everything you can do with a computer. I give this baby 5 stars without hesitation. Of course it is a wifi only product, but there are so many apps not needing the web, you will always keep busy.

The only complaint was NOT the Touch but I-tunes software and maneuvering around it - that has a learning curve, one once mastered,  downloading anything from my computer is a breeze and people say where Apple gets you is in selling the apps. I have over 100 great apps and only spent $6.99 on a few more detailed programs.

Now, I have an extensive collection of movies, many I have not gotten to watch yet, so now I get t relax at lunch at work or late night until I fall asleep catching up with these shows.

I find the most fun stuff is free - hundreds and hundreds of video and audio Podcasts are free and shows like funny man Bill Burr (look him up) and get a good chuckle from a man who uses ever four letter word I've ever heard of, but surely entertains. I have a months worth of George Noory (Coast to Coast AM) podcasts to always listen to, I have the Bible Fully Dramatized with dozens of actors doing all the Biblical Characters, better than an audiobook and (speaking of which) a few dozen audiobooks. I'm on the road 2 hours a night checking boilers throughout our Military Facility and I wear noise reduction headphones and listen to all this material while doing my job.

The apps... oh the apps... WOW! I never knew how many there were and how great most of them are. I always go through the free stuff first the look at the fee based stuff. And yes, I have Angry Birds, Cut the Rope and I weed through all the other genre looking for the real gems.

I love VIP POKER a Texas Holdem game that is better looking that Ultimabet the game we play for over a year through Ventrilo chat. Literally it is nicer on the eyes than any of the PC online sites.

Best of all though are news feed updates, newspapers, sites like IMDB whos movie app is so easy to use, HBO and all other TV stations make their apps so easy to read with increasing font sizes, scrolling, etc. There is little need to zoom in and scroll all over the place, the apps make your device very page friendly.

To have my bank at my fingers is awesome, as are all the apps which are updated constantly. You may have seen the guy holding his I-phone device toward the night sky and as he moved it, it tilted along with its gyro, revealing planet, constellations, the space station, and Hubble - it is called Night sky. Literally you can watch where everything in the sky is at any time, see the shapes of the star patterns and the Greek gods and mythological creatures they are named for.

The gyro is VERY precise, you hardly need to tilt in racing games for it to turn the wheel. But of all feature I love is Shazam ,Sound-hound - programs that not only can identify all music, but also perfect sync the lyrics for a sing a long.

The others are barcode readers like Quick-scan, Red-lazer and Scan-life all read QR (square barcodes) as well as standard - the QR Codes offer a great deal of info,such as website, "In Case of Emergency" instructions: I keep a QR code in my wallet over my drivers license and if I'm ever I'm involved in a car accident of just pass-out or injured on the job - the QR code has my name, address, wife's numbers, Dr. contact info and a complete list of all meds I take and complete previous medical history. Anyone with the scan device will know great info to help them diagnose me and contact my wife and Dr. Also these not only scan products, but give you price of competitor supermarkets, etc., that are near you. Zillow the leader in house on the market for sale has a perfect app that quickly lets you find ones that are in the area you are looking for, but easily scroll through the photos of/in the house, along with taxes and mortgage payments, etc..

Remember. the TOUCH only has wifi not 3G connections "Meaning" you need to be bear an internet signal to access the browser, etc.. But when you scan things without internet, it creates a list to check out when you get near Internet hubs. Then when it comes to pricing, you have sometime dozens f options to choose from.

Sure, this can be a toy for a kid, or a learning device - I (once again) am trying to learn Spanish and there is a fun app for that which is free.

LASTLY... I have three apps which list hundreds of genre of music, talk radio, specialty programs - with in a few clicks you have dozens of (in my case) Conservative talk show hosts. I can record then to play, or go o the hundreds and hundreds of pod casts that load to the Touch. Best of all for me (and I could have gotten an off-brand-name) mp3 player for $19.99 but instead I got the most technically advanced device I have ever held in my hand.

I give the Ipod Touch 5 stars, there are just a handful of apps that are only designed for the IPAD or IPHONE, very few. The TOUCH is sooooo much more than I ever expected to have.

So... do you have an I-Phone. IPAD. TOUCH or other smart devices and do you make use of the feature and app?? Also what app is your favorite? I just added Skype to mine and it is nice to stretch out n bed and not be tethered to my mic which is only is the only device - the keyboard and mouse are wireless and used all over.

Enough already, I was just amazed and still am - it opens a whole new world to personal computing - classic example I video captured a 2 minute video, hit the send to Youtube button and minutes later it is only for all to see. Yes, we are all going to the poor-house buy we have fun toys to entertain us there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:51:59 pm by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: Do You Own a Smart Phone - how about an Ipod Touch???
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:54:20 pm »
Really.... No one has a smart phone or iPod touch???

I just was interested what apps are either really cool to have or just plain fun!!

Seriously the best product I have ever owned -and cant imagine  it going away. The medication can be a life saver for many people. :mrgreen:

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:40:45 pm »
SHUCKS BOSS I STILL GET NEIGHBOR KIDS TO ENTER PHONE NO. IN MY CELL PHONE
to bee or not to bee

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 08:14:41 pm »
SHUCKS BOSS I STILL GET NEIGHBOR KIDS TO ENTER PHONE NO. IN MY CELL PHONE

:lau: :lau: :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 08:28:48 pm »
Still got the dumb phone here.

But can't you do everything that the Ipod touch do with a smart phone.    I know that one of the guys at church was showing his new phone that took video in HD a couple of weeks ago.   And my wife has ditched her ipods (there were many) and now just plays Slacker on her phone for her music.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »
i have a droid x.  3g and wifi.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 09:32:33 pm »
I have a Ipod touch too!  And like you, I love it.  For me, it has been my link to home while traveling.  I lived in Vietnam for the past three months (am back home now)..but the touch made me feel like I was home at times.  I am an NPR fan and could link to my local radio station to listen to the morning and evening news.  And if I wanted to listen to NPR and missed the local broadcast, I could just get the podcasts and play them anytime.  I have a nifty set of tiny speakers that I can hook to the touch and they would fill my room with music or radio...

I also have the touch at my bedside at night.  I often wake up and can't sleep and found that listening to talk radio....not music....will shut off the stuff running though my head and let me get back to sleep. I can't stand some of the talk radio at night...but can download "This American Life" podcasts or Science Fridays....and they put me to sleep quickly!!!  At night, I use only one earbud....cut the other one off with scissors...and typically it falls out if I get back to sleep....which is good.  My husband also appreciates not having to listen to my radio programs at night...and using the iTouch with one earbud keeps the sound in my ear and not his.

I kept all my travel guides on the Touch while traveling this year...and being able get my email if I am in a wi-fi zone was really handy.  I really love it....and for me, it is perfect.  I use a pay-by-minute cell phone because I don't want to pay the high cell phone monthly fees and so the iTouch is a nice way to keep those bills away.  Typically,I don't use the cell very much.

But...the sad news is that I lost one of my two hives while traveling this fall.  I departed in late August and tried to do as much housekeeping as I could at that time of year.  I think the hive that I lost actually swarmed late in the summer...or early fall.  When I tore it apart last week, I only had a few "hands full" of dead bees.  There was honey....but it was in a different super than the bees.  They were all at the very top of the hive and the food there was all gone.  So the remaining bees probably starved. The few bees there...makes me think that this hive didn't re-queen itself after the swarm left and they just died out.  So....I cleaned up the frames and boxes....put the few frames with honey left in the freezer and am going to move them to the remaining hive when we have a day of warm weather.  I figure the remaining hive can use this honey to get through the winter.

Anyway.....back to the iTouch....Yeah....it is really a nice piece of equipment --like having an iPhone without the monthly cell phone expenses.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 12:34:42 am »
Gailmo:

Yep. everything you said and so much more :) I am stock piling movies and podcasts noe for non-wifi times and I have lots of site listed as www.Xmarks.com where you can use the same bookmarks (I have over 300 well organized) and all are in each of my computers and each are modified by sync-ing now - so all the sites are available to all PCs.

I just love when you find n app for some site you follow, radio stations and suck really are compiled by apps like Tune-in and others - and best of all mant are recorded with the real sounds of AM radio, fading, static and everything as a HAM operator, I grew up learning to love, the magic of the airwaves.

I checked and have 179 apps right now, and only bought 4 all else free. I can't wait to use Skype with it and Facetime - I have both aboard it.

I just can't say enough about it really - at home I'm on  it all the time, right now DL-ing podcasts and movies for the weekend.

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:13 pm »
I am on my second iPod Touch. The first one I purchased about three years ago and was the original one. Christmas 2010 I received a 4th gen. Can't say enough good things about them, and no I'm not a Apple guy. It is the perfect pocket computer. Any time a receive a wireless connection it connects with our mail server and keeps my calander and email up to date as it is a fast paced world we live in.

Beemaster, you mentioned you liked VIP Poker. You might want to take a look at Texas Poker by Kamagames LTD.

My iPod is one of my most indispensable tools i own.

Being an IT guy for over ** years (a very long time) I am amazed how far we have come. It has at least 100X the capacity and power of my first computer and back then I would have had to have very large pockets to carry it with me.  :-D
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »
I just installed Tapatalk here on this Ipod for better forum reading. Nice app.

I wanted to mention my favorite app finder program. Search "apps fire" it sweeps all the apps reduced to free and those greatly reduced and updates it all thru the day.

I check back often and download anything free that sounds interesting. All are easy to delete, so i dont mind installing to try them out.

I still say this is the coolest toy/tool i have ever had and this year at Bud4 ill just have this and do everything and much more than with my laptop and that is cooooool.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 06:41:05 pm »
Forgot..  I am very file management conpulsive  and i reduced NINE SCREENS OF APPS down to TWO SCREENS of well organized folders.

So much easier when everything is in its place like this.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 02:43:59 pm »
The game app, "where's my water" is a very fun game.  It's a strategy type. Can keep you busy/addicted for a very long time.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »
Been meaning to download Where my water glad you reminded me.

Here is a great free collection of 4200 slide block puzzles ( screen shot i took) its called UNBLOCK ME and all have this beautiful look. They are from easy to expert but 4200 puzzles is just amazing

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 11:36:57 pm »
I have a I phone 4, bought the wife and 2 kids all I phone 4's and the wife has an I pad.  Very useful tools as I am on the road a lot instant e mail everywhere even on a tower and get to see the grand kids on face time.  The weather and radar aps are great for construction crews, the white pages ap is great for finding anything on the road from bolts to getting a pizza deliverd to the room.  If your willing to drop 4 to 6 bucks there are some really high quality graphic games to kill any down time you might encounter not to mention the main reason Apple got its recent boom... music.. anything you wantto down load and never forget Pandora App.... you can customize your own radio station for free! 
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 05:55:27 pm »
No, I am too much of a dumby to operate one! :-D

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 05:30:19 pm »
Yockey. I've seen toddlers playing games designed for their age on the Ipad. They intuitively know how to use it and even my aging coworkers who try my Ipod need no instruction. That is one thing i find so amazing about it.

And YES Pandora is wonderful - they were smart enough to let it run in the background otherwise it would be so limited.

JP Tapatalk is amazing. The admin features are all available as well as member and attaching photos from camera roll is awesome. I still need to try videos to see if it handles those as well, don't tell me i want to be surprised.

Oh well at least I can attach videos made elsewhere. But still make forum surfing pain free. The regular web version of most pages turns out to be lots of work but this is great.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11:33 am »
Now if we can just get the majority of the population to drive their cars and not surf the internet when they are traveling down a highway with tractor trailers id consider buying one but if i need the interent ill use this one that i have at my house.  Chris

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 12:43:55 am »
My GPS has a feature that if you are going any faster than 5 mph nearly all functions are blocked.

We need the same thing in all types of cellphones blocking texting and all calls except 911 calls.

But the problem is HOW DO YOU DO THE JUST TO THE DRIVERS PHONE what about the passengers who have phones too???

I fully agree between texting, surfing, and talking, no one can make me believe it is safe to use a phone while driving.

I'll never forget the Philly teen who sent 11 texts in 13 minutes and ended up crushed better a bus and 18 wheeler. There wasn't enough of him to pull out if the car, it was crushed in a 4ft triangle. We need to stop the madness.

I know i cant multitask and wouldn't even try to text especially. I did hold my flipcam up and film my GPS when i got it, i realised it was a stupid thing to do and never repeated it. If i ever video myself while driving i promise to use a camera mount - i'd love everyone to make it home safe and ME not be a cause of any accident cause of distractions.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 09:34:28 am »

I fully agree between texting, surfing, and talking, no one can make me believe it is safe to use a phone while driving.

And some times walking

X:X  X:X  X:X

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
Now if we can just get the majority of the population to drive their cars and not surf the internet when they are traveling down a highway with tractor trailers id consider buying one but if i need the interent ill use this one that i have at my house.  Chris

sure is useful for traveling.  i have used the navigation all over the US.  been pretty impressed with it. the voice features on mine make the navigation that much better.  and NO, a map is not as good  :-D  i took the scenic route through the tobacco fields, driving a big box truck, because my navigator wanted to go "old school"   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything