Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Merrill Tool Box  (Read 34107 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Merrill Tool Box
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »
is it worth it?

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
Re: Merrill Tool Box
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
Does it have enough room for my accordion? :-D

A metal ammo box is a good place to keep a smoker.  It wont start an unwanted fire after you are done using it.

When I need to bring tools, veil & etc, I usually throw them in one of those reusable shopping bags.  If I need an empty nuc, I'll bring one of those too.
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:30:28 pm »
is it worth it?

Well are bees worth it ???  :-D

BEE HAPPY Jim :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »
Not to me.
You have to make that decision for yourself.
Joe

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:13:33 am »
Well, it looks considerably nicer than my plastic cat-litter container, but as Joe said, it's a decision you have to make for yourself. Me? I'd spend the $45 on something else.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:46:21 am »
Build your own, it's cheaper.  It's just a modified nuc box.

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:27:56 am »
I have one and I like it. That said, a plastic pail from Lowes or Home Depot would probably be just as suitable for much less. It does have premade places for frame rests, brushes, etc and can double as a place to stash a swarm for transport, but again, a bucket does too :)

It's a personal call, like everyone says. I figured what the heck and got one.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:06:26 pm »
I used a plastic bucket for years till I picked up enought plywood cutoffs to make a bee gear box. 3/4 inch plywood makes it a bit heavy but it can be used as a step to get into taller hives. I don't keep my veil or gloves in it, just hive tools, smoker fuel and the smoker that has the tip plugged with a cork. I like the look and design of the Merrill tool box, just can't see buying one right now.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:05:25 am »
If you like it and it doesn't bust the bank,it's worth it.If it takes you a half day to build it and you feel your time is more valuable,it's worth it.
Not every one is a handyman,or has the woodworking tools to build it.
Strictly a personal preference. :)
People spend a lot more on a lot less in other hobbies.Look at the price of a bowling ball. :)

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:50 pm »
I have an old large ammo box.  The only reason I used it was that I could put a lit smoker in it and rest assured it would put the smoker out.  No need to be trailing sparks out the back of the truck in drought stricken Texas.  Don't want to be responsible for wild fires.  Since I'm taking it along anyway I throw the rest of my nonflammable gear in there as well.  Two smokers, 3 or 4 hive tools, a frame grip that was given to me but that I never use are all along for the ride.  A wooden tool box like a carpenter used to make for himself, with a dowel handle, carries the flammable/meltable(is that even a word? :)) gear.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 01:25:12 pm »
I saw it and liked it but was worried about the weight so I got a little Huskey tool bag from Home Depot.

Francus, do you know how much the Merrill Tool Box weighs empty?  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »
I have an old large ammo box.  The only reason I used it was that I could put a lit smoker in it and rest assured it would put the smoker out.  No need to be trailing sparks out the back of the truck in drought stricken Texas.  Don't want to be responsible for wild fires.  Since I'm taking it along anyway I throw the rest of my nonflammable gear in there as well.  Two smokers, 3 or 4 hive tools, a frame grip that was given to me but that I never use are all along for the ride.  A wooden tool box like a carpenter used to make for himself, with a dowel handle, carries the flammable/meltable(is that even a word? :)) gear.

:lau: :lau:
Well it pass Spell Check
I do not know but I like it.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:08:48 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 01:37:32 am »
I have one and I love it! It is more organized than many other options.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 11:06:54 am »
I have three of them.  If I had the time I would have built my own.  I didn't have the time...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DoctorZ

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 08:06:18 pm »
I was tempted to buy one this weekend, but reading the posts I came to the conclusion that it was heavy and expensive when you factored in the shipping costs from Brushy.

So I went with an 5 Gal pail that I had and splurged $10 at Tractor Supply (or Harbor Freight) to get a bucket organizer. The organizer has tons of pockets for the tools, and the pail is big enough to hold a smoker and a frame holder. Extra bonus is that you can toss burr comb and excess propolis in the bucket.

The only upside I can see is that you can sling the Merrill over your shoulder leaving both hands free, with the bucket you're down to one.
Hoover: The man, the dam, the vacuum.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:37 pm »
Make a sling for that bucket.   :-D

Offline beewitch

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »
I ordered one a couple of years ago and admit I was kinda disappointed when it arrived.  But honestly I have used it more than I ever thought.  It's storage in the "off" months, the strap is easy on my back and arms for toting and lifting or other heavy work. And my son, who is not a beek, feels safer when he's helping me with honey harvest.  I brush the bees off, put the frames in, close the lid and send him to the house as my honey mule!  All-in-all, it was a worthwhile purchase.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 12:25:43 pm »
I could give you a deal on all the cool stuff to fill the box.   Frame grabber, queen catcher, queen marking tube,  queen muff,  frame rest,  powdered sugar sifter and more.  All I carry now is 2 or 3 hive tools in the truck door pocket,  a helmet and hood and a jacket with hood in the back seat of the cab,  a bucket with a smoker,  a lighter in my pocket and a torch for windy days

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:18 pm »
I use a plywood nuc box with the lid hooked on the side with a luggage strap hooked to it.  I carry all the small stuff (matches, back up lighter, queen catcher, marking pen, queen cage, cork for plugging smoker, etc) in an old candy tin to keep everything dry.  My smoker fuel (newpaper and old blue jeans torn in strips) is rolled in a plastic bag to keep it dry.  I have two hive tools, bee brush, frame hanger, veil, and a smoker lose in there.  Everything fits in the smoker fuel bag if you need to use the box for swarm removal.

It allows me to carry everything I need for a sudden swarm removal in a tight easy to carry multi-use container.  If you're making some plywood nucs the cost of one Merrill box will more than cover the material cost of one sheet of plywood that will render you 4 nucs.  Whether use a homemade nuc box or a Merrill tool box I'd recommend it.  It keeps things compact, forces you to get rid of things you don't actually use, and makes you look very professional.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 06:41:09 pm »
The fact that it is a great stool AND you can put your tools in it AND you can put a swarm in it, are all nice things...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin