Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winters finally here !  (Read 8608 times)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Winters finally here !
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 10:52:04 pm »
Well, got out to check them yesterday with a high of 43 degrees and sunshine.
Was freaked out about the amount on front of the hives and around the area.
Remind me next time, to not park the truck so close. Bee Poo galore.
All had good stores still, just don't know for how long!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:04:02 am by tefer2 »

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 11:47:42 pm »
tefer, if you hadn't parked so close, your truck would have been in the flight path.  Sounds like the bees just thought your truck needed decorating!  Congrats on the good weather so you could check them!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 08:35:08 am »
Yeah, I shouldn't be complaining, the truck will wash off. Should be glad for the potty break. I have concerns that my emergency measures won't last till we can get some resources again.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 04:32:35 pm »
tefer, I missed something...why don't you think your emergency measures will work?  What did you find in your hives?  Or is that a different thread?

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 09:19:18 pm »
 I may miss some that could use it up and starve.
We have been having all this warm weather here that is using up my stores.
Should change the title, Winters finally here Thursday
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:04:52 am by tefer2 »

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 12:02:19 pm »
CRAZY is the word for this winter.  N/W Wisconsin will see mid forties again today (it should be below zero).  When I last checked all my bees had left was sugar, honeystores are mostly gone.....until APRIL when the dandelions begin (unless this continues :-\. and brings about an 'equally' abnormal Spring. 

WE (my bees that is) may be doomed.  Since finding the sugar I've been noticing a steady 'darkening' of their poop stamps.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 12:18:17 pm »
Thomas, mine are getting lighter by the day too. I think that I have some honey still in there, but it's going fast.
I put two 5 lb. bricks on all of them now. I just have to keep checking the bricks to make sure they last me.
Headed to store for more sugar for back up bricks. Suppose to get back to winter here Thursday for us.
The poo stains on my truck are still lighter colored so far. Been there last winter with the dysentery issues.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 12:24:20 pm »
Yea, that's why I resupplied mine.  I let my guard down two years ago when I checked hives at this time and they all weighed in well.  Then the really nasty weather started where the bees couldn't fly.  I was blown away by how fast the stores went away.  Wasn't prepared with sugar on hand back then.

It still amazes me sometimes that my world now includes watching the color of bee poop!  :-P

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 12:31:27 pm »
I ended up losing the ones that had the real dark staining on the hive entrances last winter. Nasty stuff.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 01:53:44 pm »
Yeah, one of my three remaining colonies is leaving darker and much more prevelent stains on and around the hive.  The others seem to be going farther away, but it just might mean there are fewer bees remaining in those hives.  They were fairly equal in size and stores going into winter, but I'm certain the above (way above) average temps are causing great consumption of any stores, especially whenever they're able to 'break' cluster. 

Ideally, (in N/W Wisconsin) breaking cluster should only happen a (very) few times during our 6-7 month long winter when bees are confined, only allowing for 'rare' potty outings. 

"They just eat more when its this warm." 

I've read that there is a point (temperature) where bees will actually 'stop' consuming due to extreme cold.  A defense mechanism of sorts I suppose :-\ for surviving long winters. 

We've had 'one' night below zero so far, when our usual is a 'few weeks' staying below zero.  On a positive, I'll likely have enough firewood to take me well into next years heating season ;).

We have two vehicles, both white w/ yellow polka-spotches. 8-)

thomas

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 11:52:32 pm »
Well, Its back to making snow balls tonight. Suppose to get between 4 and 10 inches, OH BOY!!! :oops:

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 09:27:53 am »
The more snow the better, both for me (and my septic tank) and the bees (I'll be shoveling snow around all the colonies today for added insulation).

thomas

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 10:44:04 am »
I understand the bee's, but why the septic tank?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 12:44:31 pm »
Really?  Don't have a septic system, heh? :-D

OK, a few winters ago we recieved 'no snow' until mid January, after going through two solid weeks of 20-30 BELOW ZERO. 

Our Septic Tank AND drain field both froze solid until April!!!

Good thing we still had an outhouse behind the garage to use.  We had to go to neighbors for showers.

So...........Bring on the snow, ideally 'before' the sub zero temps begin.

thomas

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »
Mine must be deeper, or we don't get as cold as you do there.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 07:33:16 pm »
put on 75#s of candy board today.  Need to make up at least 50#s more.   So far so good but I did have a few that wouldn't have lasted much longer.   Got several mid winter verom injections.   

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 08:14:06 pm »
Most of my recent snow is melting today. I lost one that went queenless and ran out of brood last week.
I'm now keeping track of which hives that I have added candy bricks, and who will be needing more soon.
 I would normally not add my candy to them until late Feb. March.
Guess I should fell lucky that the weather will let us check them!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »
danno, I got smarter after my last look into them. Went to Aldi's the next morning, and made a bunch of extras for later. Cheaper than buying more bee's.
I didn't get my winter injections, veil and some gloves for those pissy gals.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 09:21:12 pm »
danno, I got smarter after my last look into them. Went to Aldi's the next morning, and made a bunch of extras for later. Cheaper than buying more bee's.
I didn't get my winter injections, veil and some gloves for those pissy gals.
I did have my veil on as always but the bunched up hood of my sweatshirt gave them away in.   Also no gloves.   Only hurts for a second.

salvo

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »
Hi Folks,

Plymouth county, Massachusetts here. Regular warm weather here until about nine days ago. Bees regularly out and about, with nothing to do. I set out sieves drizzled with honey on a few of those warm days. I've kept the sugar inside the hives. I had lots of bees ten days ago. I haven't disrupted the boxes since October (I apiguarded in September), just to pop the top for sugar. We're all concerned about running out of food.

My concern also is for moisture! It has been regularly in the 50's, with little precipitation. I have two hives. I insulated the sides slightly with landscape fabric (very breathable), and, I put a super with about 3 inches of wood shavings below my sbb, and one also above my inner cover. Entrances are reduced and "sheltered". I have small screened vent holes on the inner cover and the bees have been active at that hole when it has been warm. I think it has good, slow, consistent movement of air up and through the hive. It's dry as popcorn in the hive.

Should I be worried about too little moisture? It's in the single digits at night. Might hit 50's this coming weekend. How would you even "water" bees now?

Thanks,
Salvo

Or,,, should I tell you in the spring whether it was a good idea?

anything