Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best locations for your SHB traps  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Lord Viykor

• House Bee
    • Viykor.com - My adventures in backyard farming
Best locations for your SHB traps
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:05:06 am »
Still very new to keeping bees and am rather unsure of the best place to put my SHB traps.

At present I added a super to my hive today. In the super I have put 2 AJ traps into it, on the bottom board I have a DE beetle trap. I've only had the DE trap for a little while, and checked it twice. Both times bees have managed to get into it which is a bit of a worry.

Should I add a couple more AJ traps to the brood box as well?

Cheers,
LV

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
Re: Best locations for your SHB traps
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:32:22 am »
Hi LV

I tried the AJ traps, not a big fan.  bees get in it as you have noted and you always need to open the boxes to check the progress.

I have made a number of prototype traps, the ones that are installed in the bottom board or in the brood box always yield better results.

If you want to keep using AJ's then put some in the brood box

omo

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:23:01 pm »
Look into oil trays under a bottom screen and beetle barns also.    Use as many traps as you can afford.   Top to bottom.   Kill as many as you can.   Also look into Gardstar to see if it is listed for use down there as a ground drench.   

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:31:11 am »
I have 2 hives at my place at the moment. One has a Freeman beetle trap(SBB and oil tray) the other has no trap. The hive with the Freeman trap has zero beetles crawling around (I know this because we did a full inspection on it today) but has a few beetles in the trap every now and then. The hive with out a trap has dozens of beetles crawling around. I am very happy with the Freeman trap and will be using them on all my hives.
Shane

Offline Lord Viykor

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 06:47:48 pm »
I have 2 hives at my place at the moment. One has a Freeman beetle trap(SBB and oil tray) the other has no trap. The hive with the Freeman trap has zero beetles crawling around (I know this because we did a full inspection on it today) but has a few beetles in the trap every now and then. The hive with out a trap has dozens of beetles crawling around. I am very happy with the Freeman trap and will be using them on all my hives.

Is this the one you're talking about Shane? freemanbeetletrapDOTcom/menu_page/about_the_trap

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »
Yeah mate, thats it.
Shane

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:16:59 pm »
The Freeeman Trap looks great.

Do you leave it on all the time, or just use it when you sugar dust?

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 12:23:00 am »
I leave them on all the time. I have had the trays out during the heavy rain we've been getting lately though cause they fill up with water. I don't sugar dust at all as I have read bad reports about the after effects.
Shane

Offline Lord Viykor

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:34 am »
I leave them on all the time. I have had the trays out during the heavy rain we've been getting lately though cause they fill up with water. I don't sugar dust at all as I have read bad reports about the after effects.

Did you paint the timber on you freeman Shane? It looks like it's unpainted on their website, I wasn't sure how long it would last, in SE Queensland.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:11:19 am »
Yeah I paint the outsides that are exposed to the weather.
Shane