Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeders have a little mold growing inside them.  (Read 2875 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
feeders have a little mold growing inside them.
« on: June 03, 2005, 05:57:58 pm »
I just filled my feeders up with sugar water, & noticed the feeders had a little mold growing on the inside of each. they are glass, quart jars. Should I have used clean jars? or, a little mold won't hurt. The feeders had about 1/5 sugar water left in them. thnx, JP.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 08:05:42 pm »
It wont hurt them but I clean mine every once in a while, I just like all my stuff to be clean :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 09:47:57 pm »
I would also get a little black mold. They say it will not harm the bees, but I always clean it out. Maybe I'm overly cautious because I'm new at this.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 01:21:06 pm »
I feed syrup even if it's moldy, but I like to let them clean up the syrup and then wash out the feeders with distilled vinegar to get the mold out.

Bees can actually filter all of that mold out.  They can even filter out the smallest particles of pollen from nectar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything