Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any Tasmanian beekeepers here??  (Read 4499 times)

Offline hotdog

• New Bee
Any Tasmanian beekeepers here??
« on: November 26, 2014, 10:49:39 pm »
Wondering if there any Tasmanian beekeepers on the forum.?
I'm considering a tree change move there next year and have some questions.

Offline hivepirate

• New Bee
    • Hive Pirate
Re: Any Tasmanian beekeepers here??
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22:08 am »
I wish I was a Tasmanian beekeeper. That country fascinates me. On my bucket list. Good luck!

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:59:03 am »
Love the way yee talk down under. tree change guess that means abode

Offline mikebrg

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »
Jay, a tree change is moving to the bush or a rural setting and a sea change is moving to the beach!

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:17:24 pm »
real close surfs up

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 03:16:41 am »
Wondering if there any Tasmanian beekeepers on the forum.?
I'm considering a tree change move there next year and have some questions.

Yes.

I just joined about 20 mins ago.

Which trees do you want to know about? We have many.  ;)

I'm now based about 12 mins south of Hobart GPO (on a quiet day - takes 20 mins in rush hour) but have lived and/or worked on the East Coast, Huon Valley & D'Entrecasteaux Channel, Tasman Peninsula.

Relative beginner with bees though so if it's about that and highly technical, I'm possibly not your man.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:54:56 am by Richard M »

Offline Simon

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 07:15:46 am »
Hotdog, there are a few Tasmanian Beemaster members around.  I'm at the other end of the state to Richard.  What sort of trees are you looking for?

Simon

Offline hotdog

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:18:18 pm »
Hi Simon, sorry I haven't replied sooner - been a busy bee...
I am not living in Tasmania at the moment - however plan to move there this year and was just wanting to get some insight from beekeepers there as to how successful they (you) are...?

Regards.

Offline kalium

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:34:56 pm »
As someone who might like to move to tassie at some point, I would be interested in the answer as well. I have been to tassie twice now, both times in winter. I imagine the bees do nit forage in the winter time there. From what i have read it seems leatherwood and manuka is about all you guys get down there, or am i misinformed?

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 12:50:29 am »
As someone who might like to move to tassie at some point, I would be interested in the answer as well. I have been to tassie twice now, both times in winter. I imagine the bees do nit forage in the winter time there. From what i have read it seems leatherwood and manuka is about all you guys get down there, or am i misinformed?

Definitely misinformed.

Depends where you live of course and some parts are cooler than others. We are close to the coast, 15km south of Hobart CBD and othey were flying on warmer days  throughout the winter. Something is usually flowering at or near the coast year-round, particularly in suburbia.

Ours have been playing on eucalypts which have been coming into flower since September and are now hitting up blackberries & prickly box and will fill the supers very shortly; once that's finished and extracted then hoping to put em on leatherwood until late March. There's also the fruit growing down the Huon Valley, the Tamar and parts of the NW which is good in the spring/early summer.

A mate of mine is based in Bothwell (altitude 350m) on the southern edge of the Central Highlands, he's getting honey off several local farm crops, including clover etc.

If up a bit higher of course then it's colder, so the seasons are shorter and winters are harsher.

I'm confident that my suburban apiary I'm hoping to set up for next spring will be very productive.

Bear in mind too that in Summer, sunrise is at 0530 and sunset is 2050. I checked ours last night at 2030 and they were still very busy, leaving as well as arriving, so potentially they're foraging and productive for 15 hours a day, especially when it's warm like at the moment.

I previously "kept" a couple of (borrowed) hives on the East Coast at Falmouth for 12 months in 1999; despite the fact that we were in continuous drought and things looked very bleak flowering-wise, we still finished up with what at the time seemed like an enormous volume of honey.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:02:39 am by Richard M »

anything