Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Failed attempt at gather honey comb from wild bees  (Read 1823 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Failed attempt at gather honey comb from wild bees
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:27 pm »
This evening I went looking for the wild hive I know exists on our property. I eventually found it in an abandoned farm building. Against my better judgement because it was misty and overcast, I got the bright idea to suit up and try to rob some for my nephews birthday present. So I suited up in my ultra breeze suit, wrapped my injured hands and put on two layers of leather gloves, put on my boots, and went with my smoker to do this. All started out well. Smoked them they calmed but when I went in and cut out a chunk of comb they went wild. 20-30 on my mask crawling up my suit trying to sting my hand where I held the comb. I threw the comb in a bag, tossed it in the back of my truck and drove away still in my bee suit. Finally after about 30 yards the last flew out of my truck window and I stopped and undressed and thought aobut my disaster. Some where still in teh bag but I will just let them suffocate. Throughout the whole ordeal I was never stung actually. The Ultra Breeze is a life saver pretty much plus the double gloves and leather boots tonight.

So besides the weather, what did I do wrong, are all bees this aggressive when harvesting honey, and these bees are about 2-3 shades darker than my Italians.

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
Re: Failed attempt at gather honey comb from wild bees
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:37:58 pm »
You come to try to take my food out of my house and you'll end up a lot worse than when you started. Seriously, I believe if you wait until early afternoon on a nice clear day you'll have better results

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »
Like you mentioned, you did 3 major errors. Went into a hive under bad weather and I suspect it was close to sundown. Either one can cause problems. Do both and it could have been a lot worse. Also the heavy double leather gloves means that you cannot feel the bees when you handle the comb and you end up crushing lots of bees. Every time you injure a bees, he puts out a pheromone that smells like bananas. The bees around her react to these pheromones and go into attack mode. Every time one of them stings your gloves, they are marking you as a mayor threat to the hive and it gets worse as more and more bees stings them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:25:32 pm »
I plan on ditching the double layer gloves when my hands completely heal. Right now they are still blistered and have bandages around them. Yes it was after 5. Also what type of bees would they bee based off of the color?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 12:54:22 am »
Mutes. Wild bees are darker most of the time and have mixed genes. Also older bees will loose their color.
All my bees are mutes. A  hive can have color variations from brite coloring to solid black.

John

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:42:36 am »
Be nice Micheal.  :grin:
We knew what he meant.
It was funny though.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:48:07 am »
I plan on ditching the double layer gloves when my hands completely heal. Right now they are still blistered and have bandages around them. Yes it was after 5. Also what type of bees would they bee based off of the color?
Like John said, mutts. There the best ones. It's not the type of bees, just how they are handled.
My first year I took lots of stings and there were times that I did not let anyone else walk in my back yard.
The second year, I had very few stings and I did not use any protection that year.
It takes time to learn how to work your bees and keep them calm at the same time.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 10:54:52 am »
Well the weather is calling for clear and sunny on Friday so I am going back then on my lunch break. I will let everyone know how it goes then.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 11:28:44 am »
>Be nice Micheal.

Those were the pictures in my head...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 02:02:54 pm »
Mute: http://www.ioremap.net/gallery/trumpet/trumpet_with_the_cup_mute.jpg
Mutt: http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/photography/bigs/42070-Blue-merle-mutt-white-background.jpg

Woof Michael. I thought you where out of the house now the weather is warmer. I know being inside for long periods  during the winter makes people quick minded.

Ha ha. :cool:

John
Besides all mutes are best. ( living things )

Come down to were its always warmer in Dixieland. :tongue:

anything