Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tobacco and Varroa....  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Beeswax Bob

• New Bee
Tobacco and Varroa....
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:41:52 pm »
I was looking through a beekeeping catalogue and came accross a bag of tobacco for sale. Its states use for braula control. I don't think that I've got braula but it does say that it's useful for varroa detection.

What if any effect does using tobacco have on varroa?

Bob

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
Re: Tobacco and Varroa....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:48:15 pm »
We use it when the mite count gets high we put some tobacco in the smoker.  It works for us.  The mite count is high the next day then it is much lower after.  nicotine is a poison.  It seems to work on the mites. 
  We heard about using food grade mineral oil on cotton balls in the hive to induce cleaning behavior.  we'll probably try this instead of the tobacco next time. 
jim 

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:36:01 pm »
I have cartons of expired cigs that I wondered if I could use a little in the smoker. I didn't think about the nicotine being a poison. I did wonder if menthol cigs would help with mites, varroah and tracheal, though.

Any ideas on the menthols? they do nothing for me, I don't smoke they are just returns from the job.

Steve

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:01:14 pm »
Tobacco has been popular for smoker fuel for many years.  I don't like the smell and too much will kill the bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »
When I took a beekeeping short course, one of the experienced guys said that using some tobacco in the smoker will knock down bees initially, but when it wears off, they get pretty angry.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »
When I took a beekeeping short course, one of the experienced guys said that using some tobacco in the smoker will knock down bees initially, but when it wears off, they get pretty angry.

Would it be considered " Second Hand Smoke "  :evil:

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 03:40:43 pm »

Would it be considered " Second Hand Smoke "  :evil:

Only if you blew smoke in yourself!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 04:51:36 pm »
Tobacco has been popular for smoker fuel for many years.  I don't like the smell and too much will kill the bees.

Yet people smoke everyday!!  That's awesome

Keith

Offline golddust-twins

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:11:23 pm »
Yep.....and it kills people everyday.   And don't get me wrong I'm not passing judgement.    I have lost too many family and friends to tobacco.

Corinne

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 02:48:07 am »

Back when I used to smoke... I got pretty angry when I didn't smoke for a while, too.  Addiction is a nasty thing... though when I did finally decide to quit, it was actually very easy.

Still, I will defend a person's right to smoke.  Sure it's bad for your health, but people should have the right to make their own choices in life.  Even God recognised that as a fundamental right.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 03:52:19 am »
Any ideas on the menthols? they do nothing for me, I don't smoke they are just returns from the job.

Not sure about the cigs... when I used to smoke, some people told me (and I do consider these sources UNreliable by the way) that the menthol cigs also contain fiberglass resin. 

Anyway, I do like the idea of menthol in the smoker, but I do wonder why you couldn't just add straight menthol to the smoker fuel instead of menthol cigs?  I'm also not sure that small a dose of menthol would do anything at all for the control of trachea mites, or if it would help them build immunity to it.