Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do you use to treat your wooden top feeders?  (Read 4170 times)

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
What do you use to treat your wooden top feeders?
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:38 pm »
I have wooden top feeders with slatted floats for the bees.  I didn't paint them as I was worried the bees might chew on the paint.  The result is some black mold that has developed on the inside of the feeders.

Do any of you paint the insides of your wooden top feeders?  Or do you treat with some other product?  If so, have the bees tried to chew the product off?

Thanks!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: What do you use to treat your wooden top feeders?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:34:37 pm »
I don't use the wooden top feeders, I use a 1 1/2quart jar with holes in the lid.  Every time I fill them I take them apart and clean with water and a brush.  If I don't black mold will start in the jar.  Hope this is a little help.  I am lucky I have running water and a hundred feet of hose at each bee yard, makes it easy to clean things.  Good luck

Joe

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:24:01 pm »
You might put some Honey B Healthy, absorbic acid or a drop of bleach in the feed to reduce the chance of growing mold. Some folks use the absorbic acid to mimic the pH of honey.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:14:22 am »
Ok, Let me preface this reply stating that I have only used hive top feeders made out of plastic. I've looked into using wooden types and have read that some use bees wax as a coating and others use urethane as a wood sealant.
The mold can be removed with bleach. After application allow the feeders to air out exposed to sunlight. This helps to break down the chlorine faster.
Hope this helps you out.
Later,
Ray

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:44:19 am »
Had to research chemcoat epoxy paint for a extractor, some say that it was good for wooden feeders. Waiting for it to dry was like watching grass grow tho.
 I like the Mason jar feeders also, takes too much time to clean the top feeders & I don't have to worry about the stinkin SHBCs fouling the syrup also.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 04:23:46 pm »
Thanks for the tips!  Sounds like I have some experimenting to do.  I'll try the techniques mentioned above and do some more research over the winter.

Thanks, again!
:)

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:21:33 pm »
Alicia

I use marine spar varnish [Three coats] to coat mine. I do get a little mold now and then but a little oxyclean will take care of clean up.

It works for me!  Good luck.

John

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:13 pm »
I was wondering about some kind of a marine finish.  I was concerned about the bees chewing on it.  I may try anyway and just keep an eye on the situation.

Thanks!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:19:08 pm »
I was wondering about some kind of a marine finish.  I was concerned about the bees chewing on it.  I may try anyway and just keep an eye on the situation.

Thanks!

Do bees had teeth ???  :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 10:45:50 pm »
I have had mine coated for four years with no issues with chewing or leakage.

John

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:38:26 am »
Thanks, John, think I'm going to apply a finish like that this winter and give it a shot!  :)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 12:42:01 pm »
I would  bet that any primarily tropical insect that has lived for 130 million years in hollow logs and rock clefs can pretty well deal with any variety of mold.  A  little bleach will kill the mold and the feeders are fine the way they are.