Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Managing a Nuc  (Read 3492 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Managing a Nuc
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »
This is my first season to keep a nuc on hand as kind of a backup queen holding pen in case one of my other 3 hives needs a queen. My long term plan is to take it through the winter, if I don't combine it with one of my other hives in the fall.

When keeping a nuc long term, what should I do to keep it from outgrowing the box? My nuc is a 5 frame medium two story (i.e. 10  medium frames altogether.)  Should I just occasionally pull a frame or two of brood and replace with foundation or empty comb so the queen has room to lay and the population doesn't get out of control?
linda d

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
Re: Managing a Nuc
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:43:15 pm »
Should I just occasionally pull a frame or two of brood and replace with foundation or empty comb so the queen has room to lay and the population doesn't get out of control?

That is what I do.

Or you could keep stacking suppers on it and get a honey crop off of it. I have some stacked 5 high. They fill up suppers very quick.
Who Dat!!!

Moots

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:15:27 pm »
 Should I just occasionally pull a frame or two of brood and replace with foundation or empty comb so the queen has room to lay and the population doesn't get out of control?

Question....And if you do this, what do you do with the frame or two of brood? :?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:23:00 pm »
I would make more nucs with them. I have 4 or 5 nucs that I have to split soon or they will swarm.
I usually take 2 or 3 frames and make more nucs with them.  Works out great. The bees can draw nice queen cells from the new comb with eggs that I find in my nucs.  ( another reason I like foundationless frames, they make great new comb for queen rearing when making splits. )

Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline beek1951

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 08:34:04 pm »
I do removals and run a lot of nucs. I overwintered several double deep nucs last year and they worked out great.
What I like to do is let them fill 10 frames (two-story deeps) and then move 8 to a 8-frame box and leave the other
two to start a new colony. Kind of a self-generating permanent nuc <g>. That way I get a hive and still have a nuc
in the oven.

Moots

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:26:05 pm »
Bailey and 1951,
I hear and get what y'all or saying, but what do you suggest for the 1st year Beek who had intended on having 3 hives his first year...But instead, 5 months in has eight hives and three Nucs....Trying not to get in too deep too quick.   I still have a lot to learn and really feel like I need to level off with where I'm at for the moment.  :)

Don't get me wrong, enjoying every minute of it, but trying to keep it manageable. 

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:45:23 pm »
Well my pal moot.  Didn't I say welcome to the addiction in feb?
I wasn't kidding.
Find some friends with land that are bee friendly.
Make yourself an out yard for strong hives and move them out of the back yard to the remote yards when they are strong. 

Keep nursing the weaker hives in the back yard and buy more woodenware. 
Your addicted now so you might as well resign yourself to the fact your going to be where I am in about 7 years:)

All kidding aside, don't stop gathering bees. Your going to lose some this winter.  This way you won't get frustrated and you can start using honey money to buy wooden ware before too long.

Again I say.   Welcome to the addiction.   :evil:

Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline beek1951

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:49:06 pm »
Moots, I find that it is a good idea to make increase when you can.
I make nucs whenever possible and sell them whenever I have them
I can use $150 now and then and I have seen times that it seems that
you cannot keep bees and your stock keeps dwindling. Better to have
them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Moots

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:33:28 pm »
Moots, I find that it is a good idea to make increase when you can.
I make nucs whenever possible and sell them whenever I have them
I can use $150 now and then and I have seen times that it seems that
you cannot keep bees and your stock keeps dwindling. Better to have
them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

I hear you...And while I certainly don't have anything against an extra $150, sometimes I feel like I need/want the time more than the $150.  It just seems like at some point, wherever that point may be, one has to level off...

Plus, I'm sure at some point I might sell a Nuc or two.  However, at the moment I'm not really comfortable enough with my level of experience to where I feel like that's something I want to do...Like I said, first year, I still have PLENTY to learn.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 10:34:53 pm »
Motts, if you really don't want more hives you could always put them in other hives that may need a little boost.
Who Dat!!!

Moots

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:43:27 pm »
Motts, if you really don't want more hives you could always put them in other hives that may need a little boost.

Gov,
Actually did a newspaper combine on two smaller hives about a week ago or so for that very reason.  :)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 08:40:27 pm »
My husband has limited me to 3 hives in my backyard.  I kind of snuck the "nuc" in on him, saying it wasn't really a hive.  I would like to overwinter it and maybe sell it off next spring.  I keep in all mediums and teach the beginning beekeep class and encourage my students to go with an all medium set up, but they tell me it is hard to find medium nucs. Thus I am sure I would have an easy sale or two since no one around here sells medium nucs.
linda d

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 09:23:51 pm »
I  use a 10 frame medium, split it down the middle, then take a 1x10 inch plank to cut your new two sides from. Make sure you cut these the complete length of the super and nail and glue to the end, "outside " the cut piece. Which is actually the sides. don't worry about the joints, butt joints is just as good as any other if put together right. I do drill nail holes ( one size smaller) than the drill bit to prevent splitting. That puts the end pieces on the inside so as to take care of the recess for the frames. I do deeps the same way. :) d2

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 02:31:47 pm »
I would either add boxes to let them grow, split them (put the queen in the new location and let the old location raise the new one) or steal some brood from them and give it to other hives...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin