Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Horizontal Hives...  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
Horizontal Hives...
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:58:28 am »
Hello,
I want to make a horizontal medium hive like M. Bush. I just can't seem to figure out what the demensions should be. I would like it to be 3 mediums wide. Would it be around 19 7/8"W x48 3/4"L x 6 5/8"H?
Thanks,
Beesilly

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Horizontal Hives...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:59:36 pm »
If you take the internal width of the hive and multiply it by 3 and build it out you'll find you can put 2-3 extra frames in because of the slide spaceing for working the frames.  It's the easiest way to do it and you end up with a few extra frames which can be a plus.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:05:41 am »
Unless you want to build a three box long bottom board that has a 3/4" rim, I'd add 3/4" to the height.   I just use a one by eight which is about 7 1/4" and it's close enough without ripping it down.

So mine are 19 7/8"W x48 3/4"L x 7 1/4"H
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:03:54 pm »
Hey,

I've made a few different ones and I would suggest to make it so it takes std. Dadent deep frames, foundationless so it gives you the option of full cut out crush and strain, comb honey sales, or putting thru an extractor reusing the empty comb.

cheers

peter

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:08:37 pm »
I used the plans at §¤«£¿æ.com and was very successful.  Pictures here: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/keaeris/TBH-11May08/

You can make it using all hand tools--and we did a great deal of the work on this hive with hand tools, but having a table saw -really- made things a lot easier when it came time to rip the top bars and groove them.  I also paid the extra for cedar, because it is so much lighter than pine.  My hive cost about $50, including the little bit of hardware and plexiglass I bought for the observation window.

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:22 pm »
Thanks everyone! Peter, I'm sorry, but what is a std? I hopefully will get started on this hive and install a nuc into it.
Thanks again!
Beesilly

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 11:07:43 pm »
n.p. Standard

cheers

peter

anything