Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to clean a extractor?  (Read 4811 times)

Offline beewhisper

• New Bee
How to clean a extractor?
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:26:11 pm »
I would like to know how everyone cleans their extractor? Do you need to break it down completely? What do you use and where do you get the food grade oil?
                                                                         Thanks
                                                                          William

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: How to clean a extractor?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:49:58 pm »
I pour the hottest water I can make or get from the faucett down the sides and on the basket. Then with a hot cloth I just wipe down what i can. I dont get it all by any means but I think i do a pretty good job at straining  to not worry about what i leave behind.
Usually this is pretty easy because its only wax by the time my bees are done cleaning out the sticky stuff. Sometimes you get most of the wax out pretty easy with a hose as the bees leave a flaky, white wax thats mostly just laying in the bottom of the extractor. I think cool weather extractor cleaning is easier than hot weather(100 degrees or hotter) cleaning,
 I think a little wax in your honey is good...It makes your teeth shine, just as if you waxed your car :-D

your friend,
john

Beaches Bee-Haven Apiary

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:55:10 pm »
Yep, I break it down, hose it off, and than use a steam cleaner. I towel and than air dry it.

-Nathanael 8-)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:20:31 am »
I never disassemble mine unless it would need some work and it hasn't yet, I just improved it some, mine is a 20 framer and I installed sealed barring in mine and wash with hot water and dish washing liquid and rinse well and let air dry, cleans it like a new penny
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:13:24 am »
Hot water and bleach, followed by hot water. 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:56:09 pm »
Your supposed to clean them??? :-D
Wes Sapp

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:27:04 pm »
     I break them both down, if I use them both, and on the basket of the one I use a toilet bowl brush with HOT water and dish soap then after rinsed I bag it up and when I break it back out again I do a bleach solution and HOT water then rinse well and air dry, then use. 

If I loan them out I expect them to be clean when they return, since that is how they left.  Otherwise that person(s) don't get to use it again.  I had one returned dirty, including dirt with wax and honey.

Oh yeah.  The toilet bowl brush is new and never used on a toilet.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline MAXANT

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 01:53:47 pm »
Make sure to regrease the ball bearing in the bottom of the tank, food grade grease. (If you extractor has one)

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 03:43:18 pm »
After extraction, I let the bees clean it.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline chefbb

• New Bee
    • www.pamperedchef.biz/bonnie
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »
When you say you let the bees clean it...do you just leave the open extractor near the hive??  How long does it usualy take? Then afterwards to you rinse it out or anything??
..• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
 ¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
 ((¸¸.•´ ..•´ Bonnie Banda -:¦:- -.  ?
 -:¦:- ((¸¸.•´* Independent Sales Director
                   The Pampered Chef®

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 11:12:20 pm »
It takes an hour or two in my yard, then I hose it down until next year.  I save the serious cleaning for right before I use it.
www.myoldtools.com

anything