Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Killing weeds  (Read 13656 times)

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
Re: Killing weeds
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 11:39:02 pm »
I have white crushed limestone on some of my walk ways.  Will the flame thrower darken the white gravel?

It shouldn't.  I use it on my brick walkway (among other places) and it hasn't caused any color change that I've noticed.  I'll check again in the morning though, just to be sure.

Mark

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 07:34:05 am »
I have white crushed limestone on some of my walk ways.  Will the flame thrower darken the white gravel?

It shouldn't.  I use it on my brick walkway (among other places) and it hasn't caused any color change that I've noticed.  I'll check again in the morning though, just to be sure.

Mark
Yeah, my dad told me that you're only supposed to heat the weed real quick, just enough to kill the seed and wilt the leaves a little.  Plus it burns propane, so there's virtually no exhaust to stain the ground.

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 08:31:16 am »
newspaper is far more poisenous than people think. in general ALL printed paper is poisenous, well i'm not sure for laser printed paper but newspaper is poisenous. it contains huge ammounts of lead

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 10:05:09 am »
I think that there was a post about newspaper toxins.  I am kind of remembering someone saying that the ink use in nowadays does not have the same amount of "poison" as what was once used.  I could be wrong, but that is what comes to my mind.

About the black plastic.  It is wonderful to use when one wants to heat up the soil when planting in the plants that love their roots to be warm, like the melons, cucumbers, etc., etc.

To kill weeds the plastic is good and fast.  BUT, I think for it to kill the seeds underground this takes several weeks. 
Again, do not quote me on this, but I think that is is a lengthy process, and most weeds' seeds need a long time of hot, hot, hot to destroy them.   So, be patient if you are into the seed kill.  All have a wonderful, great day, good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 02:09:37 pm »
newspaper is far more poisenous than people think. in general ALL printed paper is poisenous, well i'm not sure for laser printed paper but newspaper is poisenous. it contains huge ammounts of lead
My worms love the stuff, doesn't seem to hurt them and composting newspaper is common practice here. Everything is toxic in high concentrations...even water
I am lucky enough to live in a city that gives away mulch to residence from the city mulching facility. I get three, three yard loads a year. It composts down pretty good and I just till it in the next year and put more on top.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 04:09:16 pm »
Most inks used in newspapers nowadays are soy based and nontoxic.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 09:29:38 am »
Ann, that is what I thought.  I do not have any worries about using newspaper for composting for sure.  I know that the worms go nuts underneath newspapers and even go more crazy underneath cardboard boxes.  Ever left one outside on the ground accidentally? 

The other evening when I was weeding outside, I actually saw a dew worm.  I have heard about these monster worms, but have never seen one.  I was shocked.  I put it into the compost pile that is in my yard for the kitchen scraps.  This worm was huge!!!  It was about 6 inches long, about the width of a pencil, what a glorious site that was.  I showed my oldest grandson and he just shrugged.  Why can't kids have the same excitement about the size of a worm as me.  Go figure.

Once upon a time this grandson would come around with me when I was weeding along the sidewalks and help me pick up the worms that surfaced from the disturbance in the soil and carry them to my compost pile.  Now he just thinks that I am really weird (LOLL).  I am sure all the kids around here think that I am a little strange.  I show them the oddest things with nature.  But, don't they learn stuff from this gal?  Whether they get excited about it or not, I still show them all manner of stuff, like it or not, they have to come and have a look.....aren't I mean?  LOLL.

Have a wonderful day, beautiful day, good health to all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 01:07:58 pm »
Dew Worm? Is that different from a Night Crawler? I noticed you are in Canada, so thought maybe it is a regional thing.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 06:42:53 pm »
bluegrass.  Hmmm..I think that they are one in the same, for some reason I have only heard them referred to as dew worms here.  Should google that I should do (LOL).  Best of this beautiful day, and good health.  Cindi

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 07:46:37 pm »
googled it...they are the same, just never heard them called that before. If you want more for your compost you can go out after a rain in the dark with a flashlight, and if you are fast enough you can grab them off the ground. One of our favorate past times as kids, we used them for fishing though, not compost. Actually a really good way to keep kids busy :-P
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 01:53:14 am »
I did google nightcrawlers.  It appears it is a good business.  People go out on the golf course at night and pick thousands of dew worms, fetches a pretty good buck.  I love worms, but even more, I would love to go out by flashlight and get them.  Cindi

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2007, 06:33:19 pm »
We used to let people hunt crawlers in our fields....we had more fun watching for the sparks when they walked into a fence in the dark.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2007, 07:12:39 pm »

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2007, 09:14:19 pm »
Don't rent.. buy,
http://www.flameengineering.com/

Thanks for the link Allan!

They are a great investment.  The only caveat I'd say is to be really, really careful using them on beds that are mulched unless you've had a fair bit of rain.  Please don't ask me how I know this, or what I was thinking at the time. :shock:

Mark

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2007, 09:20:48 am »
Mark.  Awe, come on now, you issued a secret.  Tell us why you wouldn't put them on an area that is mulched unless it has rained lots.  You have prompted my curious nature for sure.  Best of a beautiful day, good health.  Cindi

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2007, 10:22:14 am »
Well, umm . . .  if you combine a hot flame, really dry wood, and a spacey mind (just returned from a three beer bbq), you get a small bonfire and a really pathetic looking herb bed.   :roll:  Heh heh . . :-\

The lesson is . . . don't drink and burn!  :-D

Mark

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2007, 11:12:42 pm »
www.perfectlynatural.om

Spray is made of highly concentrated vinegar & clove...works within a few hours...smells kinda nice too!  Home Depot carries it...

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2007, 07:51:17 am »
www.perfectlynatural.com

Spray is made of highly concentrated vinegar & clove...works within a few hours...smells kinda nice too!  Home Depot carries it...
I fixedd your link here in this quote - you left off the 'c' in .com.  :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 10:50:19 am »
Sharon, right on, Ann, right on, thanks for fixing the link.

Now that would be an interesting natural weed killer.  I am going to get my husband to check it out, he loves to go to Home Depot like I love to go to the garden centres.

There are certain weeds around here that bug the crap out of me.  Mostly I deal with them by "weeding" them out, with tool in hand and bucket, or just hoeing them over.  But the deep rooted ones like Dock (is that how it is spelled) (Burdock), drive me crazy.  Last year I missed a big one and it almost set seed.  Millions of seeds would have sprung up in that corner where I didn't keep track of this monster weed.  Oh brother. 

You should see my blueberry patch and its little tiny weeds that have germinated.  I have an enormous amount of weeding to do there in the next day or so before these little guys really get there roots going.  I can't believe how they germinate so quickly.  Oh well, that is another day of fun, fun fun.   I love weeding, so I just get my little knee pad, a bucket, my weeding tool and resign myself to some time sitting in the sun, getting lots of the natural vitamin D and listening to the chickens and ducks.  What a peaceful place to go. 

Have a beautiful day, love the sunshine when it's shinin' and have good health.  Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 11:02:18 am »
WEEDS, Hate'm. I just bought ten trds of mulch. I've placed about 7 yrds down this week by myself. Exhausting work. The weeds this year are huge and numerous. I have tried all of the above except for fire! The cost of herbicides is also annoying. This year I will be attempting to get rid of my neighbors mint and bamboo that has spread onto my yard aggressively. Any suggestions for the bamboo?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".