Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding jar  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
Feeding jar
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:26:03 pm »
Can the bees reach the feed if the jar is sitting on #8 hardware screen? I built an ob hive and need to cover the feeding jar hole on the top. The jar is mayonnaise type with nail holes poked in the lid and would set directly on the wire. I'll try to get a couple of pics together to post.
Thanks,
Bobb
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Feeding jar
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:14:31 pm »
Yes,  they can even reach a canning jar lid/ring (which is recessed) thru #8
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »
Cool! Thanks alot.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:17:51 pm »
Yes,  they can even reach a canning jar lid/ring (which is recessed) thru #8

Does it matter if the holes are put inward or outward or can they be drilled. Thanks
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:38:06 pm »
I can't speak for outward as I have never tried it.  I would think inward is worse case and it is OK.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:02:44 pm »
>Can the bees reach the feed if the jar is sitting on #8 hardware screen?

Yes.  That's how I always do it on my regular hives.  I put the screen on so I can refill jars without even putting a veil on.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:32 am »
Thanks everyone.

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline ADAME2M

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 12:43:47 pm »
Sorry to cut in here with a question.

Can they reach the feed thru the screen if its a 1gal. paint can

Thanks for any help

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:09:12 pm »
Sorry to cut in here with a question.

Can they reach the feed thru the screen if its a 1gal. paint can

Thanks for any help

yes, the distance isn't any different than that of a jar lid on a glass jar.   don't drill the holes, punch them so there's a hanging chad.  Use a 4d nail and tap just enough to puncture a very small hole while leaving the pyramid shape of the nail point imprinted in the lid.  Drill holes will create leakage.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 04:24:37 am »
So in a jar with a 4" lid what size hole would you provide and how many would be ok

Mick

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 07:47:45 am »
Mick,

You can use a small nail or 1/16" drill.   Drilling makes cleaning mold and propolis easier, you don't have to deal with the jagged edges of a punched hole.  There is m no majic to the number of holes,  just space them evenly,  I would say 10 -15 holes would be good.

rob..

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:01:23 am »
So you would use this upside down on a cover board with a hole in it or queen excluder or resting directly on the frames and the bees approach from underneath?

Mick

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 06:32:02 pm »
 Slickmick, yes, upside down. However the point of the hardware cloth is to keep the bees in the hive when you remove it to exchange or refill. Setting over the frames or excluder won't do that. Mine set over a hole in the outer cover. I also made some outer covers with holes the size of the jar lids and routed out an area on the inside of the cover to staple the hardware cloth to so it is flush with the lid when the jar is in there. I just stick a mayonnaise jar lid with no holes in it in the hole when not feeding (or leave the empty jar in it).
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 06:48:30 pm »
Good info Rast. Thanks heaps. I have a couple of hives that are from swarms that I took late in the season and I think that I will have to feed them this winter. Fortunately it never gets below 45 here (never had a frost :-D) but the winter blossom can be quite variable.

Offline Saltcreek

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 09:04:01 pm »
So in a jar with a 4" lid what size hole would you provide and how many would be ok

Mick

Regular mason jar lids are 70mm and wide mouth jar lids are 83mm for hole size. I use an adjustable hole circle cutting bit. Then you can adjust with a rasp if too tight.

anything