Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building frames  (Read 9784 times)

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
Building frames
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:02:24 pm »
I was wondering how much trouble yall go through to assemble frames?

I'm sure it differs from beek to beek and imagine it deffers greatly from hobbyist to comercial keepers.

I myself spent (or am currently spending) what most would consider way tooooo muccchhh time on assembly.

I started with Walter Kellys frames (solid bottom bars, wedge top bars). Sat at the TV for a few nights "fitting" them together, shaving where necessary to eliminate splitting the ears of the side bars.

Once fit, i am going through and applying Gorillia Glue to all the joints, and them finishing off by drilling an 1/8" hole through the side bars through the ears (top and bottom) and gluing an 1/8" dowel rod (pin) in the holes. No nails except for the wedge which will hold the 1" wax starter strips. (Have to leave them removable for easy replacement of starter strips when necessary)

Alot of work? I guess.............. But i was bored, and wanted frames that i felt would last me a good long time ( I believe i accomplished this  :-D )
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
Re: Building frames
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:06:09 pm »
Way more time than me. Built a jig holds 10 side frames each side. Apply glue shoot 1" staple into the top. Flip it over apply glue and bottom bar, shoot 1" staple into the bottom bar. No need to remove wedge from top bar just bend and insert plastic cell. Shoot 1" staples (5 each) into wedge that is still attached to top bar. Then shoot a 1" staple into each of of the side bars on one side, top and bottom. Done. 10 frames, less than 7 minutes.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:06 pm »
I'm a newb and #1 son and I took about 90 minutes to do 100 frames. Line up top and bottom bars 10 at a time, bead of glue along the ends, son assembled, I hit with air nailer, bing-bang-boom. The first 20 took over 1/2 hour, the rest flew once we had a system. I built a jig following "someone's" plans but it was too much of a hassle, our system was faster with two guys.

I've wondered about the longevity of frames, I'd suppose it's related to how you extract and how you deal with removing old comb. We're going foundationless and will crush and strain for honey so we'll see how that hangs together.

J-

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:29:17 pm »
Im not that fast...The year I started bees was the year I started considering quitting drinking...But, with 18 beers, I never knew how long it took..I just kept at it till 18 beers were gone...and so were a hundred frames! :-D
But, since I had to quit drinking,.....Lots a things are different...When doing my frames, or making fishing lures, I'd be swillin beers, jammin' to loud music, and havin' a grand 'ol time!..beer, cigs, and paint fumes!!!...Oh yehhhhhhh!!!!!!
 Now,...I'm boring......I was even told 2 weeks ago that i didnt have to take a DOT physical anymore!
It was like...'So what?"...use to be......"Ohhhhh nooooooooo!!!!!"

Maaannnn...It sux wearing out, doesnt it?

your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:17:12 am »
I built a jig that olds 16 frames, 2 8 frames.  I can glue and nail those in about 10 minutes using a 1/4 inch pneumatic staple gun.  So I can do a hundred frames in a hour by myself.  But the tell the truth I hardly ever have to do more than 32 at any one time.  4 supers at a time is usually all I need for awhile.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:35:28 am »
I've got it all wrong. I'm a bumbling idiot with no skills all. I'm practically a women in a man's body.  :-D

I need for a few of you guys to extend that beekeeping spirit, and come on over to my place and show me how to put them together. We can start with the 2000 frames needing assembled sitting on a pallet in the driveway. Drinks on me.... :cheer:

Dow pegs....first I heard of that.... :jawdrop:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:26:54 am »
I have a ten frame jig but dont bother anymore.  I use tribond III ( I know its for external use and over kill but its all I buy)  and a acid brush.  I glue five top bars on both ends on all three surfaces that the end bars touch.  I then push on all ten end bars sticking straight up.  With 1" air stapler in hand I slide a small square between each end bar and the top bar and shoot the angled  staple through the end bar into the top bar. I then flip them over and shoot a staple down through the top bar into the end bar.  They are now glued, square and stiff.  I then flip them, glue the bottom  bar slots and push in the bottom bars and staple  Done!!  I can do 100 in little over a hour

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:22 pm »
I've got it all wrong. I'm a bumbling idiot with no skills all. I'm practically a women in a man's body.  :-D

I need for a few of you guys to extend that beekeeping spirit, and come on over to my place and show me how to put them together. We can start with the 2000 frames needing assembled sitting on a pallet in the driveway. Drinks on me.... :cheer:

Dow pegs....first I heard of that.... :jawdrop:

You pay for the Plane ticket and provide a spare room and I'll build you a jib that will make putting 2000 frames together a 1 day job.    :chop:
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline malabarchillin

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:01:20 pm »
Gluing and stapling frames for me is not that bad and really only 1/2 of the total time I take with frames. I choose to use wired foundation and then wire it to the frames. The eyelets and wiring take longer for me than assembling the frames. I am new and think that for me they may have a better chance of withstanding my tangential extractor.   
Regards
Mike

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:58 pm »
I don't put too much effort into it.  I can get 10 medium frames done in about 20 minutes or less, uninterrupted.  I glue the joints with gorilla glue, nail, wire and foundation in that amount of item.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 02:39:16 pm »
10,000 workshop  and more tools than you can imagine and I buy mine......  got a cool company called pierco .....*S*   leaves me time for other interest.......  would do the same for boxes if it wern't for the dang freight.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 04:49:42 pm »
I'm practically a women in a man's body.  :-D

Oh man did you really just say that?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 12:10:40 am »

My younger brother said that and the next thing you know he was wearing dresses, he as since had the M on his drivers license changed to and F.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 06:32:18 am »

now this after I seen the post "I'm a Queen"  http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,19843.0.html

Bjorn wait till iddee see's this one, does the word "Closet" come to mind  :-P :evil: 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 06:39:28 am »
naw, I only assemble when I order 200-300 but when get in bulk I get about all my frames assembled, I dont buy from the big stores, there are a few out there that you can get assembled wood frames for about .55 cents - .60 cent each if you buy in bulk.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 07:44:35 am »

Yeah I did... :roll:

I thought the reaction would be from some of the women of the forum, but instead I see that most of the comments were from the insecure men from the site....  :lau:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 07:03:35 pm »
 BJornbee, I would say your avatar speaks for itself. When I hear you are working at that crossdressing joint on Bourbon St., then I will be concerned.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 02:23:29 pm »
The easiest way to assemble frames, and the fastest...
http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/framejig.htm
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 03:23:30 pm »
The easiest way to assemble frames, and the fastest...
http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/framejig.htm

I like it - simple and effective.  Me and you both need to clean up the shop though.

We have the same philosophy about work benches I think - it's not worth a flip if you're afraid to get glue (or paint, or nail holes, etc) on it.  Doubling as an out feed table is gravy.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 06:08:44 pm »
Yep, neat is not my middle name.....
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain