Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Warm welcome from Europe !  (Read 23261 times)

Offline Somerford

• House Bee
A Warm welcome from Europe !
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:46:12 pm »
Hi all European Beekeepers !

I asked John to create this forum section as a few new beekeepers, while impressed with the site, were a little confused as to terms and beekeeping tools used in the States mostly, and wanted somewhere to bounce things off European Beekeepers.

That's not to say anyone is welcome as I hope beeks from around the world will be interested to learn what we get up to over this side of 'The Pond' !

I look forward to reading the posts here over the coming months and wish every beekeeper a prosperous and bountiful 2010 season !

regards

Stephen
God Save The Queen

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
Re: a Warm welcome from Europe !
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:50:48 pm »

Stephen

Hi Stephen
I'm  new (bees due in April) still taking classes. Based near the Quantocks.I'm with the QBKA, part of the Somerset division. Where are you?
I agree it is a very good site, full of information. Have you tried the Coffee House? excellent for a chinwag. Sometimes a bit OTT with some straaange people! backwoods and guns etc, but you can't have everything! they are good for a laugh. Keep me amused for hours.
Regards
cider :)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:47:04 pm by cidersabuzzin »
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Somerford

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:15:16 am »
Hi Cider

Great news for you re.bees !! You'll have alot of fun.

I'm not that far from you - North Wiltshire near Malmesbury

When are the bees arriving ? What hive are you going for ?

regards

Steve
God Save The Queen

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »
Greetings from the states!  Looking forward to comparing ideas and techniques, as well as stories!  Good luck in the new year everyone!

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:12 pm »
Hello from Azle Texas 11 miles North West of Ft Worth and welcome. I too will bee enjoying your stories about bee keeping on the other side of the pond.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:43:40 am »
Hi Cider

regards

Steve

Hi Steve

I'm from Nether Stowey, Somerset. At the foot of the Quantock Hills, along the A39. a couple of miles from the coast. I'm getting a nuc from the Chairman of our group sometime in April. Don't know what to do with them yet, I have already built a TBH Kenyan type but in the next couple of weeks we (as a group) will be getting some Thornes 2nds BNH to build at one evening class, so I may put the nuc in that and wait to get a swarm for the TBH I'm leaning toward TBH (what do you have?) The farmer at the organic farm where I am putting my hives was a bee keeper with 40-50 hives but has not done it for a few years, too busy weeding I suppose! He still has the hives (BNH) I think (could be commercials though) so there maybe a chance of some 2nd hand ones, he just has to check them out as they are at his brother-in-laws farm. So all in all I should be up and running by the end of April.
Regards
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:42:32 pm by cidersabuzzin »

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 12:34:12 pm »
Hello from Azle Texas 11 miles North West of Ft Worth and welcome. I too will bee enjoying your stories about bee keeping on the other side of the pond.

Hi from cider and every one over here
Probably have lots of stories of how my first efforts have gone wrong! keep in touch. Maybe able to pick your brains re TBH etc
Best regards
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:47:13 pm by cidersabuzzin »

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:47:54 pm »
Greetings from the states!  Looking forward to comparing ideas and techniques, as well as stories!  Good luck in the new year everyone!

Hi from cider and every one over here
Probably have lots of stories of how my first efforts have gone wrong! keep in touch. Maybe able to pick your brains re TBH etc
Best regards

Offline CarpeDiem

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 05:51:29 am »
Greetings from Croatia!
Anyone interested in sharing subscriptions related to science (beekeeping science)? There are really good websites out there. Maybe we could share our knowledge, findings, research, info, experiences..?

.. never stop questioning ...
... never stop questioning ..

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:06:29 am »
almost missed your post :-)

there is a section on here for sharing such info.  you'll need more posts before you can add links and pics, but we'd be interested in sharing info with about your methods, etc. in the meantime.

welcome.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 05:45:28 pm »
Greetings from Croatia!
Anyone interested in sharing subscriptions related to science (beekeeping science)? There are really good websites out there. Maybe we could share our knowledge, findings, research, info, experiences..?

.. never stop questioning ...

Welcome to the fold!

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 10:15:01 am »
y
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:59:27 am by cidersabuzzin »

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 10:21:22 am »

Stephen

Hi Stephen
I'm  new (bees due in April) still taking classes. Based near the Quantocks.I'm with the QBKA, part of the Somerset division. Where are you?
I agree it is a very good site, full of information. Have you tried the Coffee House? excellent for a chinwag.  Keeps me amused for hours.
Regards

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:02 am »
y

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57:06 am »
Hi Cider

regards

Steve

Steve

I mentioned the farmer with old hives a while back, saw him again a couple of days ago but he seems to be backing off about having any for sale he's thinking of taking up B/K again! I hope it will still be okay to put my hives there, only a couple, no bees yet now not due until June :'(something to look forward to) I have put myself down for a swarm for the T bar but that's still going to be late I would imagine.
Hope yours are going OK and we can swap info.
Best Regards
cider 

Offline RDP

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 11:57:24 pm »
Transplanted American living outside of Kiev, Ukraine. I just retired and wanted to take up a hobby to keep me busy for a few hours a week. Have 0 experiance with beekeeping but reading and watching as many videos as I can.
Does anyone have any contact information for the Ukraine on suppliers? Everything that I have read to date is for the States, not sure what kind of problems I will run into here.

Thanks
RDP

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 12:52:41 pm »
Transplanted American living outside of Kiev, Ukraine. I just retired and wanted to take up a hobby to keep me busy for a few hours a week. Have 0 experience with beekeeping but reading and watching as many videos as I can.
Does anyone have any contact information for the Ukraine on suppliers? Everything that I have read to date is for the States, not sure what kind of problems I will run into here.

Thanks

Hi RDP
You don't say if you are interested in 'standard hives' or Top Bar. I'm like you zero experience with bees but I am leaning toward T/Bar they are easier to build than conventional hives plus you do not need all the paraphernalia that comes with square boxes! I must admit I am having at least one standard hive but only because we built a brood box as part of the classes I have been attending (beginners and continuation) Is there the opportunity to attend classes where you are? if not are there other B/Keepers local to you? to act as mentors etc. I enclose the email address for National Bee Supplies   <info@beekeeping.co.uk>  maybe they can help. On a different note maybe you could enlighten us all on how you ended up in the Ukraine!
Best Regards
cider
PS Just had a quick look and found:  http://www.sciencecentral.com.ua     and   http://www.beekeeping.com.ua   a heck of a lot of BeeKs in Ukraine, produce 70,000 tons of honey last year! so should be no problem about getting equipment and advice.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:08:08 am by cidersabuzzin »

Offline RDP

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, had to zip out to Qatar for a quic contract and now back home. I am picking up three Ukrainian style hives, not sure what they are yet but they are still a bit behind in how they keep bees here. I have a mentor but there is the language barrier. Once I get the boxes I'll take pictures and post them.
Three years ago I met and married a local girl and have been here ever since. My background is in logistics and I was hoping at some time in the future to maybe set up an export buisness or start a COOP and start exporting that way. We'll see what the future brings.
RDP

Offline shakd

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 02:31:26 pm »
Hello Stephen and all!! Shak here from Canada! I enjoy swapping g stories of beekeeping over various countries! Is there much difference beekeeping, lets say in Europe compared to other countries.  Of course minus different climates. Please feel free to share! Open ears!

Offline bolkar

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 06:06:17 am »
Hi... greetings for Turkey...

now winter but l live in mersin city and weather  sun +20 C today :)

we will started for season in march

good luck...