Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Summer again  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Summer again
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:17:54 am »
Our slogan here is the the Finnish summer is short but short of snow.

Now temps are about 30 C even in Polar Circle.

Autumn canola just stopped blooming. Winter frost period was long and hard ande it dryed up almost totally apple tree flower buds. No white apple trees.

Raspberry is starting to bloom 2 weeks before normal time.

Near Polar Circle dandelion is in full bloom and gives lots of honey.

Summer canola is just coming above the earth. Those fields are now easy to notice. They are black.

I am going to migrate my hives to pastures where soil is wet.  Raspberry and fireweed loves it. Sand and clif areas are traps of beekeeper, if  good weathers continue. Another traps are mere canolafields. It it is hot, it gives nothing. But canola blooms after a month. Weathers will change many times before that.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Summer again
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:58:00 am »
you are warmer than we are!  i have the heater on again this morning.  i think we got close to 21 C yesterday, but most of our days have been much lower. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:59:33 am »
Now temp is only 10C, afternoon perhapps 15 C.  Raspberry started to bloom in woods. It is good weather to move hives to summer pastures. Forecast promises rainy week. That is good. I do  not move hives at night any more.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:36:55 am »
Why don't you people use temperatures that I can Understand? Larry

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:44:49 pm »
Why don't you people use temperatures that I can Understand? Larry

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

jee. Asian people smile on everything what they do not understand. So school is mere laughing.

Offline boca

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »
The use of traditional units of measurement caused misunderstanding, confusion, and accidents throughout history. Our mind seems to be bound to the unit we use every day. It is not easy to to me to "feel" how cold 0 Fahrenheit is until I convert it into Celsius. The same as visiting a foreign country and seeing the prices in a different currency. I have to calculate the value in euros to understand how expensive an item is. But after a few weeks it become natural and there is no need to conversion.

Both Fahrenheit and Celsius are traditional unit of measurement of temperature and they will continue confuse us until we start to use the SI unit which is Kelvin.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:00:23 pm »
sales tax too.  our state has no sales tax so i have to do the mental addition when i shop in another state.  when i live in CA, the mental addition of the sales tax was automatic.  :-)

i cheat.  i pull up the converter to do C and F degrees :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline boguz

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:31:51 pm »
today here in Lahti (south of Finland) we had 30ºC - but it felt like 80ºC, at least!!!  ;)

...and i think the bees are still feating on the last strawberry flowers!

Offline Mikey Habbque

• New Bee
  • Bee happy. Life is as sweet as honey.
    • Weber Performer Grill
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:04:31 am »
Wow Boguz and Finski - 30C in a Nordic country - I never realized it got so warm in Finland! We've got 36C weather coming up over the next few days in LA...
Plenty of fruit trees out now though  - oranges, lemons, and now apricots on the way - plus plenty of strawberries and raspberries  8-)
If a shortcut was easy, it would be called "the way"

anything