Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Normal activity or robbing?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Normal activity or robbing?
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »
About six weeks ago I lifted one of my hives and it seemed very light, so I started feeding with fondant and about 3 weeks ago I put a sugar "cake" on top of the frames.  When I put the sugar cake on, I also added an Imirie shim to provide more space between the top of the frames and the bottom of the inner cover.  Having the Imirie shim in place also provided an upper entrance in addition to the bottom entrance which has an entrance reducer on the smallest setting in place.

It's a warm but windy day today and the bees in this particular hive are pretty active, especially at the top entrance around the shim. 

Am I observing normal activity or am I observing robbing?  How do I tell the difference?  And if robbing, should I close off the top entrance?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Normal activity or robbing?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:05:24 pm »
If robbing was occuring you'd know it.  You'd see bees tearing each other apart.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:16:45 pm »
I have never really seen bees robbing sugar.    Honey and syrup, and pollen a little if nothing is coming in.   I bet normal activity. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:17:58 pm »
Robbing or not, I would close the top entrance. Why do you need it?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:57 pm »
at this time of the year you an have other bees going after the sugar without having a robbing frenzy.  you may not even notice it if they are just popping in a grabbing some unless you are tracking them away from the hive.

i'd second closing the top.  no need to attract others and no need to let heat out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:27:13 pm »
Oh boy, here we go again.....

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 06:34:59 pm »
Oh boy, here we go again.....

?
if you are referring to the top entrance thing, it's never a good idea to have food on and more access to the hive (feeder).  if it doesn't cause robbing now, it will.  once you get it started, it's hard to stop.  better not to let it happen.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything