Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Allergy pollen count and beekeeping..?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Mason

• House Bee
Allergy pollen count and beekeeping..?
« on: November 02, 2009, 02:56:39 pm »
I always am wondering where my bees are going and what they are working.  I rarely see them working anything in my yard and not even in the garden.  Yesterday I was again watching my bees come back to the hives with pollen on their legs.  I have no idea where they are finding it.  Is there any way to tell where the are going and track them?  Also,  I was wondering if local pollen count would be something a beekeeper could use to predict nectar flows?  It seems to be documented very well because of people with allergies.  The site listed below is very detailed and tells what is blooming per zip code.

http://www.pollen.com/allergy-weather-forecast.asp

Am I way off base here?  I also posted this on the map of blooming from another post but thought this might be a completely different topic.

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline cow pollinater

• House Bee
Re: Allergy pollen count and beekeeping..?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:31:08 pm »
Most of the allergens that get reported are wind pollinated plants that the bees don't use.  Bees use a heavier pollen that doesn't blow much and therefore doesn't bother many people.  They will fly a mile or more for a good source so look for anything in town that is in bloom.
If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger... Or maims you for life.

anything