Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1st Swarm Of 2009  (Read 11426 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: 1st Swarm Of 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 04:01:46 pm »
Annette, not a turkey baster its a hypodermic needle w/ a large reservoir.

I snipped the very small branches/twigs sticking out from where the cluster was and bent the branch forward and gave them a very abrupt shake to loosen them from the limb, most fall into the box, others go airborne. Of course I was right under them on the ladder while doing this. I then went down to the ground.

I like to then sit down with the box across my lap looking into the box for the queen. Once I spot her I catch her with the hair clip catcher or my fingers and either set her in the box in the catcher or cage her and set her in the box.

I then hit the box against the ground so bees fall down from the top and quickly put the lid on.

If the swarm is close to the ground when you shake them, they may march right in, in mere seconds or minutes.

This one was approx 10' from the ground so it took them longer to orient to the box even after shaking the branch a second time to loosen about a softball sized mini cluster that still thought the queen might be up there.

I could have facilitated the process by setting the box atop the ladder but I knew they would all sooner or later orient to the box, which in this case took about 45 minutes total. Besides I was having fun chatting with the people watching so I was in no rush.

As long as they are kept in a cool place and are fed, you can keep them in the box for several days if you wanted to, but of course you could transfer them that day or the next.

Timing is of the utmost essence when dealing with swarms, so you want to act quickly when you get out of your vehicle. They may decide to leave while you're gabbing it up, so get them in a box or hive whatever, then you can enjoy the event and answer questions or shoot the breeze.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 07:57:55 pm »
The swarms have not stopped down here. I had two calls for swarms a couple of weeks ago. I passed them to other members because I was working.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 09:14:26 pm »
The swarms have not stopped down here. I had two calls for swarms a couple of weeks ago. I passed them to other members because I was working.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

If it were not for this front I could almost guarantee I would have got calls Saturday and today.

Dallas caught one in one of his empty deeps yesterday while we were on the phone. Where's the pics D?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 11:11:13 pm »
Ha You thought I had forgotten. I have been busy pulling honey, adding boxes and generaly getting ready for the orange blossom flow. Here are the two Pic's that I got. Notice this is the only correct way to catch swarms.  :devilbanana:

While I was moving some boxes around to put on the truck here is what I found.

I put a box with some frames and a feeder jar to help make them feel right at home.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 11:18:38 pm »
Ha You thought I had forgotten. I have been busy pulling honey, adding boxes and generaly getting ready for the orange blossom flow. Here are the two Pic's that I got. Notice this is the only correct way to catch swarms.  :devilbanana:

While I was moving some boxes around to put on the truck here is what I found.

I put a box with some frames and a feeder jar to help make them feel right at home.

Back to work bub. I need Nucs.

Quit slacking on this honey stuff.

:mrgreen:

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 11:32:03 pm »
Dallas, you do realize that most people place their swarm traps quite some distance apart right? :-D

...JP

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 11:36:18 pm »
Understudy--Yes Sir! I'm going back to work now, Many nucs to make. Did you see all that equipment in the background... That all will have bees in them very soon.

JP- I hear ya. But I will take it like I got it.  :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 11:40:59 pm »
Well, by stacking those swarm traps in one spot, it saves you gas money.

...JP ;)