Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Walk away splits ?  (Read 15045 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: Walk away splits ?
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 09:39:50 pm »
AAAAAAAAAAAAMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:59 pm »
Life is Good!

Edges of lakes are cool, middle...not so good.
Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 11:20:12 pm »
This is great joy,I love it,love it,love it. :) ;) :camp: :delivery: :piano:
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 11:48:01 pm »
>Another question-- of all i read (unless i missed it) there is no clear indication of when is the best time to do this-

Because it's an art, not a science.  You need enough bees (which will change by time of year) and enough stores (which is easiest during a flow) and enough time for the split to build up enough to get through the winter.  Actually, if you read the  FAQs at the bottom you will see things like "how early..." etc.

>Another simple question-- why couldnt hobby beek have a 3deep colony--ie huge colony-- will the bees swarm if they have plenty of space?

Yes, the hive wants to  reproduce and will given the opportunity...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything