Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying workers??  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Laying workers??
« on: June 03, 2005, 09:15:03 pm »
If a hive has laying workers can you combine them into another hive or will they kill that hives queen?

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Laying workers??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 09:31:43 pm »
Alot of what I've read says that if you combine a laying worker colony with a queen right one the queen right one will kill the laying workers leaving the non-laying workers unharmed.(assuming you do the newspaper meathod.)

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Laying workers??
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 09:38:59 pm »
Nathan
where did you read that?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Laying workers??
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 01:00:25 pm »
>Alot of what I've read says that if you combine a laying worker colony with a queen right one the queen right one will kill the laying workers leaving the non-laying workers unharmed.(assuming you do the newspaper meathod.)

I wouldn't.  Just remove all the equipment of the laying worker hive and shake the laying worker hive out in front of the queenright hive and the queen in the queenright hive will have the home court advantage.  In a combine she's on equal footting.  If you really want to do the newspaper combine. put a double screen board between them for a few days and THEN do the newspaper method.  That way the bees in the laying worker hive will get to smell the REAL queen for a few days and get used to the idea.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Laying workers??
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 05:06:48 pm »
Michael
The double screen board is a good ideal.
Thanks

anything