Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Max  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
Bee Max
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:15:48 am »
I am considering trying Bee Max equipment this summer (just 1 hive) in my harsh, northern climate.  Right now, my bees are all in 10 frame wooden equipment (I make almost everything myself - except the frames).  I have read and heard some good and some bad about the Bee Max equipment.  I was wondering what the strong and weak points of Bee Max were, based on the experiences here.  Can the hive bodies be used with standard, 10 frame bottom boards?  Do they provide an overwintering advantage worth the extra expense?  Does switching to Bee Max solve some problems associated with wood, but introduce a whole new suite of problems?  Etc., etc., etc. - experiences of that nature. Thanks in advance.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Bee Max
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:34:49 am »
Use the search function and you will find a lot of discussion that will answer your questions.  Search polystyrene as well as beemax.

I make all of my equipment except frames too and switched to beemax 2 years ago.  The hives stay about 10F warmer than wood hives in the winter and use 1/3 - 1/2 less stores.   I was skeptical about the durability,  but have been pretty impressed so far.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:30:59 pm »

The hives ... use 1/3 - 1/2 less stores. 

Really?  That's quite impressive, It would be a real bonus for those of us that live in climates where winter lasts for 5 months!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:36:30 pm »

The hives ... use 1/3 - 1/2 less stores. 

Really?  That's quite impressive, It would be a real bonus for those of us that live in climates where winter lasts for 5 months!

It is a guesstimate on my part, but there is a noticeable difference.   Here is some of the temperature data I collected last winter -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13576.msg96912.html#msg96912
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 07:00:49 pm »
Thank You for the info.  Tony

anything